Do laptops with these specs exist? Help!

ekay 14:35 07 Dec 10

Hi, I'm in a dilemma and really hope for some help on this forum.I recently bought a Toshiba A660-149 which on paper had all the specs I wanted (i5-430M, 16" screen, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM, fabulous sound - Harman Kardon speakers, numeric keypad, reasonably light at 2.6kg). However, I'm now finding that the 1366x768 screen resolution is driving me nuts. I came from an ancient 15" Dell Inspiron (1440x900 resolution) and even though the Toshiba is 16", it displays less lines compared to the Dell.

I want an all-rounder laptop (entertainment+Excel work). Whilst the Toshiba is fine for playing games (e.g. Sims3) and watching movies, it is inferior to my ancient Dell for Excel work and web browsing. Somehow everything just looks too BIG!

I am therefore now looking to sell my new Toshiba to find an alternative laptop. However, I've been searching for 15-16" laptops with similar specs to the Toshiba plus higher resolution, to no avail. It seems that all 15-16" laptops (except for low-feature and expensive business laptops) now have 1366x768 resolution as standard?! I can only find higher resolution on laptops that are 17.3" screens and above, but that sacrifices on the portability that I need (sub-2.8kg). Are there any models/makes out there that would fit my requirements? I am willing to pay up to around £1k. I don't need any super high-end stuff like Blu-Ray drive etc - just higher resolution!

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

bremner 15:38 07 Dec 10

Sony Vaio's offer the resolutions you require click here

HondaMan 16:43 07 Dec 10

Try Acer, they do an 18.4 inch screen which is HD compliant

Woolwell 17:37 07 Dec 10

Do you keep the laptop in one place or move it around? If in one place then the cheaper option may be to get an external monitor.

ekay 09:42 08 Dec 10

Thanks for the suggestions. I move the laptop around so an external monitor isn't an option, and also means 18.4 inch screen with the Acer would not be feasible. It needs to be max c.2.8kg. I've had a look at the Sony Vaios...they look promising, does anyone know what the speaker quality and battery life are like? Both are very important criteria for me...thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…