Do I Have to Pay to Return a Faulty Item??

JayDay 13:24 12 Feb 05

I think the title says it all. I got my daughter a digital camera for Xmas. I copied the images onto my PC recently and noticed all the images were blurred. Closer examination revealed the lens was loose and seemed to be floating about inside the camera.

I contacted the supplier who asked me to return it to them recorded delivery at my expense.

Is this normal? Surely if the item is faulty then they should foot the bill for postage. I didn't want to argue the point until I knew where I stood.

Anyone know enough about Consumer Law to assist?

Totally-braindead 13:50 12 Feb 05

I think the problem you will have is proving it was faulty when you got it, it was nearly 2 months ago. Perhaps it was faulty when you got it, if so then I would imagine that they should be liable for the postage, but I'm not an expert in consumer law, but after 2 months I think theres no chance of proving that. I'd just pay to return it it would be a lot easier.

Stuartli 14:35 12 Feb 05

It depends on the company involved. Some provide a collection service and others require you to return it at your expense initially and refund the cost.

I had a similar problem with my Minolta E203 Dimage digital camera, when the lens began to refuse to retract when the camera was closed down when I had had it for about three months.

Minolta arranged to collect the camera for repair but rang me to state it had been decided to replace it with a new one. Delivery was due next day.

However, the same lady who had originally rang me called again to say that delivery would be a day later than expected as the replacement had to be obtained from another warehouse.

She added that she did not want me to wait in unnecessarily for the intended delivery day.

First class service and the replacement E203 is still working as it should two years later.

Stuartli 14:38 12 Feb 05

..replace it with a new one.

Should make it clear that the reason for this was that the technician working on the camera repair had ruled it required more work than expected; hence the replacement decision.

JayDay 15:03 12 Feb 05

Thanks. I will wait and see what happens.

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 12 Feb 05

For what it's worth, if a fault develops within 6 months it is assumed to have been there at the time of purchase. So you should be refunded / replaced.

JayDay 17:07 12 Feb 05

Thanks for that

Stuartli 17:25 12 Feb 05

I believe that this is what Diodorus Siculus might be thinking of in his posting(!):

click here

bfoc 17:55 12 Feb 05

Link does actually explain the 6 month 'limit'.

click here

BT 09:59 15 Feb 05

I had a Graphics tablet that I bought from QVC, for 10 months when it went wrong. Although they don't normally refund postage for unwanted items, when I phoned them they sent me a pre-paid postage label to return the item and as they no longer had the item in stock I got a full cash refund (including the original p&p).

anchor 12:04 15 Feb 05

I bought a NiMh battery for my Canon digital camera from 7Dayshop. It failed after about 9 months.

They asked for it to be returned, replaced the battery, and refunded the recorded delivery return postage costs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…