Dixons <--> Coverplan screwing me about

big.tony.D 18:52 12 Jun 04

Just over a year ago I bought the Creative Nomad MuVo mp3 player from Dixons (cost £80) and also got the Dixons Coverplan to cover it for an extra 2 years after the manufacturers warranty had ended (an extra £20).

Recently the player just died. This was outside of the manufacturer warranty so I took it down to my local Dixons along with the coverplan for replacement. Here I was told I needed to phone up the guys at the coverplan.

So I phoned them, and they said to send it off for it to be tested before they could do any replacement or repairs. So I forked out to send it off, and away it went.

Today I recieved a letter from the place I sent the player to. This said the following:

"After contacting Coverplan regarding this unit, we were informed that your agreement is an INSTANT REPLACEMENT, and as such never should have been sent to us, but taken to a Dixon group Store for an exchange."

But that wasnt all it said.
"Because of this, the cost to return the MuVo back to you will be £15.00p plus Vat which is our standard charge"

Now the thing is it only cost me about £3 to send it via Royal Mail Special Delivery.

So now, what the hell am I gonna do? Tommorow I'm going back to the Dixons store which said I had to phone coverplan and cause a bit of a ruckus about it, but any other ideas?

Forum Editor 19:11 12 Jun 04

no other ideas - do exactly what you have said, go back to Dixons and complain, but do it politely and firmly. The standard charge may well be for delivery by courier, rather than by Royal Mail.

-Beb- 20:38 12 Jun 04

I agree with FE about what you should do. regarding delivery, even by courier though, £15 is a joke. Perhaps this includes some penalty charge

g0slp 20:48 12 Jun 04

I think that Dixons have their own 'internal transfer' system, using their own vans, to move stock, repairs etc about. It might be worth mentioning this to the branch concerned & getting the unit sent to the branch that way.

Perhaps DavidinRichmond (I think that's right, if not I apologise) could confirm that this system still operates.

Good luck anyway.

Regards
Mark

wee eddie 20:49 12 Jun 04

1. Recently the player just died. This was outside of the manufacturer warranty so I took it down to my local Dixons along with the Cover-Plan for replacement. Here I was told I needed to phone up the guys at the Cover-Plan.

If possible: Who told you?

2. So I phoned them, and they said to send it off for it to be tested before they could do any replacement or repairs. So I forked out to send it off, and away it went.

Who did you speak to and when?

3. Today I received a letter from the place I sent the player to. This said the following:

Have the letter and a photocopy in your hand: - give them the copy. Make it known that you are keeping the original.

4. But that wasn't all it said. "Because of this, the cost to return the MuVo back to you will be £15.00p plus Vat which is our standard charge"

This statement proves that they have it and that it is in a condition that requires replacement.

As Dixons' Agents have the MuVo and say that it is a candidate for "Instant Replacement". The Dixons Store that instructed you to contact their insurers rather than correctly following the Cover-Plan procedures, should replace it without it being returned to you.

wee eddie 21:01 12 Jun 04

Request to see the most senior person on duty. That should be the person responsible for the running of the Store at the moment.

Give that person the details you have and then request that the matter be sorted at no extra expense to yourself.

At this stage, making threats of dire happenings will achieve little, but they should be able to sort it out.

It might be worth producing a photo copy of the Cover-Plan as well. Many small News Agents have photocopiers and charge less than 10p a copy.

carefully consider if a Coverplan will be suitable for future purchases.At worst you will be liable for £15+VAT,+£3 carriage charges, plus the original £20 Coverplan premium, leaving a total of £40.63 to insure a £80 MP3 player.This doesn't include your time,phone calls and petrol in getting the replacement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…