Dithering over which inkjet printer to buy........

Cybermaxx 21:14 18 Sep 04

MY HP 3320 died a while ago, and I still haven't replaced it. Whatever I buy isn't going to see heavy use, but I do find a printer useful, and I would like to get one that's capable of printing photographs this time around.

I've been wandering around high street stores (because that's where I'll be buying it from, not online) and my options are narrowed down to:-

HP 3550, which is cheap and can also use the left-over cartridges from the deceased HP 3320. I am wary of HP though, after the HP 3320 fiasco.

Epson Stylus C86. Seems to be highly rated, but the cartridges are expensive (3 x £10, and a £27 black cartridge).

Canon i455. Comet still have them for £58, although I've been told that they're soon to be phased out. Seems to be highly rated.

Canon also have a new range of inkjets out, including the 1500 model, which I saw at PC World for £50.

What do you reckon to the above makes/printers? Any others that you recommend? Cheers.

sidecar sid 23:20 18 Sep 04
  AndySD 09:33 19 Sep 04

I recently installed the cannon for a friend and the text quality was supberb. If this is going to be its main use then I would choose this over the Epsom or HP. The photo quality was good but a little slow at times.

Pesala 10:07 19 Sep 04

click here

£22 for 3 black cartridges (premium compatibles) and £5.50 each for single colour cartridges. This is for C80, may be different for C86.

Cybermaxx 11:16 19 Sep 04

Yes, I have been looking at the C46, as well as the C66, and the C86. There are a bewildering number of printers available, and reviews seem to be thin on the ground.......

joeltr 12:06 19 Sep 04

go for epson, i bought an epson c42x two years ago, and i wanted to move up a bit, so i went for epsons CX3200 all in one,my 42 is still working perfectly, as for carts choice stationery do two black & two colour for £11-99 it is just as good as the original, i dont like to recommend products, but all i can say is my set up and costsare very good, cx3200 by the way cost me £89-00 regards joel.

Pesala 12:14 19 Sep 04

Just too many to choose from. Not that much difference in price between C66 and C86 (reveiwed click here). The latter has a bit more speed and power. Also reviewed in PCA reviews click here (3rd behind two Canon printers, which probably work out more expensive to run.

If you want in-depth reviews of good photo printers click here but expect to pay more closer to £200 for the best quality printers.

Cybermaxx 13:38 19 Sep 04

I have looked at the CX3200, and it does look like good value for money (it's £80 now). It's too bulky for my needs though, and I already have a scanner, which I don't use much anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to go for the Canon i455. Looks like a good all-rounder. Assuming it's still in stock that is.......

Cybermaxx 13:41 19 Sep 04

BTW, the thing that put me off the Epson printers was that review of the C84. An "incredibly noisy" printer does not sound good!

Andybear 13:49 19 Sep 04

I bought the Canon i455 a couple of months ago and have had no problems with it. Setting it up was a doddle, including print head alignment, and the results, both of text and photos, are great. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Cybermaxx 13:52 19 Sep 04

Cheers, Andybear!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now