Distance Selling Regs.-postage refunds

cakeman 17:25 18 Jan 03
  cakeman 17:25 18 Jan 03

Readers may be interested in my experiences with Novatech.
Bought a digicam from them recently and was not happy with it, so sent back under the distance selling regs. They refunded the basic cost of the camera but not their basic postage and packing charge.
I complained but got the brush off, so checked it out with The Office of Fair Trading. Their view is that p&p charges should be refunded.
I Told this to Novatech and promptly received my refund.
My concern is, how many of us are not getting our p&p refunds when we should be?
It pays to complain!

spuds 19:28 18 Jan 03

True in what you state, but the various regulations do tend to get a little confusing.I approached an 'official body'on the subject of p/p refunds, and their official interpretation was:If the item is faulty or not as described,or not fit for the purpose, then a full refund should be given. But if it is a case of just changing one mind on inspection after delivery, then no refund for p/p should be expected.Like everything in this world, nothing seems to be straight forward.But I, like you, always would query this with the dealer, as I too tend to find it pays off in the long run.

Kilobyte 19:31 18 Jan 03

I'm sure that a retailer is only obliged to refund postage costs if an item being returned is faulty. But you may have to pursue your claim as some retailers will try to avoid refunding carriage charges.

Kilobyte 19:35 18 Jan 03

I was also going to say that this includes any item sent in error by the retailer.

rev.bem 19:43 18 Jan 03

would an item sent in error be classed as
unsolicited?

siarad 22:22 18 Jan 03

Not if in response to your order & would be classed as stealing if not paid for.

Kilobyte 22:22 18 Jan 03

I think it would apply to a situation where the retailer had sent the wrong part from an order. eg. 256Mb RAM - and 512Mb had been ordered. You can ask for the cost of carriage to be refunded in these circumstances, if the customer had ordered correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…