Distance Learning (IT) Any thoughts?

robbiepaul79 10:18 11 Jul 07

Morning All

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of distance learning been looking around at the various sites.

itdistanceleanring
uk-open-learning
icslearn
nationalitlearningcentre

and so on just thought id ask here as per usual if anyone has had dealings with these type of companies before i part with the hard earned cash.

Cheers

€dstowe 10:51 11 Jul 07

Most important with any of them is are you dedicated enough to continue with the course after the initial euphoria of starting the course has died down?

These courses can be hard work and take up a lot of your time if you are to succeed. Are you able to devote the time and effort to do this?

Not trying to put you off but, think about it for a few days before making any commitments.

robbiepaul79 11:35 11 Jul 07

Think i am dedicated done courses from home before using just text books boought from various locations thanks.

spuds 12:04 11 Jul 07

Open University seems to have had a good run, all the rest seem to fail the hurdles in the long or short term.

If you have mega bucks and plenty of time to spare, then go for it. Its bound to make someone happy. Whoever you choose, make sure the company you decide to use is officially accredited to the organisation they say they represent.

Andybear 21:51 12 Jul 07

I'm in my second year of a degree with the Open University (have another four years to go) and love it, not just the studying but I've made some really good friends through it too. There are loads of on-line forums like this for all sorts of stuff - academic and non-academic. I moderate two of them ;-) If you feel uncertain about jumping into the deep end with a 60 point (32 week long) course, there are loads of 10 pointers (12 weeks long) covering all different subjects. You could always try one of those and if you can handle it, it's a good start.

puma22 07:35 13 Jul 07

I'm a distance learning tutor and find that the students who are sucessful are those who keep on top of the work, keep in touch with me and hit all the deadlines.
I would suggest that you look at the small print of what you are 'buying' in terms of materials and support. The best offer high quality of both. Some just offer materials and no 1-2-1 support.

Hope that this helps

harps1h 11:52 13 Jul 07

i had looked at the open university for a degree as i have successfully completed an HND in computing. As this is a generalised course the problem i now have is deciding a pathway to an honours. I think i have ruled out the OU due to the costs but instead will travel 25 miles twice weekly to my local uni in Belfast. as has been pointed out it sometimes is easier to focus when there is a need to attend and not that easily put off until the next night

robbiepaul79 12:03 13 Jul 07

Thanks all must admit Open Uni was not what i was thinking more doing certain IT related courses N+ CNA MCDST and so on.

If none have had experience of the ones i mentioned above i may just leave it hate jumping into things blind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now