Dissatisfaction with Cube247 computers

RWest 14:13 05 Nov 07

I'm afraid I found Cube not good enough. I ordered over the phone quite a high spec computer - I'm interested in webdesign but also desktop searching through lots of books/ news items/ downloaded websites etc. I went for 2Tb with the 4 way RAID system, for disk speed. 2Gb RAM (I's still amazed whole reference books can fit in RAm in one piece).

Unfortunately there were cumulative problems.
*On delivery, the side plate was not screwed in place.
*Possibly because of the case flexing, the nVidia card was loose. One of their people suggested I try poking it back. I did, and it worked.
*The screen is not adequate. It's a HannsG 216D (not 216). It only has VGS type input; in fact Cube supplied an adaptor as their PC has a pair of the square high def screen outputs. At most settings it isn't very readable. I contacted them and tried anti aliasing settings etc; and also testing it with another PC. It just isn't good enough. (The 216 means 21.6 inches by the way).
*They didn't supply the keyboard/mouse (though they responded within one day).
*This is speculative: I use devolo mains plugs as a network, and they would not work reliably with this Cube PC. Previously they'd been OK. I have to suspect the Ethernet connection has some fault as it persistently refuses to connect.
*There may be a disk problem - I transferred lots of data to it but one 'folder' intermittently appears/disappears. 'chkdsk' says there's a file problem.
*I discovered at the weekend, wanting to move data between two PCs, that the floppy didn't work at all - it may simply not have been connected. I'm afraid that was the last straw.

(I haven't yet tested various bits - TV tuner, webcam.)

I have years of work stored and just can't take the risk that the thing will go wrong any more. I should have worried a bit when I was told they don't instal, or apparently know about, hardware to capture and process video/ sound.

ambra4 10:50 06 Nov 07

Remove your data, return and request a refund

spicyspencer 16:31 08 Nov 07

My family have been buying Cube systems for years, way back when they were also selling on eBay. I bought the Nova ST3 system about 6 weeks ago (which won an award with PC Advisor and PC Pro its says on their website) and it is fantastic, ordered on a Tuesday night delivered on Friday morning!
The side panel should have been screwed in on your system, that’s not on – however the screen you mention is a great screen, that’s what was supplied with my Nova. If you check the spec properly it is a new HD screen with VGA and HDMI so its one of the best panels on the market!
Files and folders “disappearing” must be a user error – it cannot be a hardware problem, just not possible.

RWest 18:50 08 Nov 07

Thanks, and thanks spicey. I may have misjudged them; I hope so.

I have a problem with the Hanns G 216D they supplied. Maybe you can help?

If I change the screen dimensions - the pixels, I mean [right click on desktop/ properties/ settings/ move slider, click OK to see] text displays wrongly - something to do with the number of pixels not dividing exactly into the number of dots per character. With most screens, it's blurred and looks reasonable. But with this one it's on the border of being unreadable - 'to see' can come out as '=c bee'. If a window is dragged, it's obviously to do with the pixels as the lettering chnages systematically.

Is it possible to 'alias' or smooth it?

would be v grateful if you know how.

The chap I spoke to at Cube couldn't do this.

Ray West

RWest 19:59 08 Nov 07

I've been given a link to a site which solves (reasonably well) the graphics problem. So that's OK.

Thinking about it, the disappearing folder may be something to do with long file names. I have quite a few downloaded entire websites, and the file names seem to include all the detail - e.g. c:\click here list of numbers.asp

That sort of thing. Sometimes a copy will abort - just stop - because of this, esp if being copied into something with a longer destination name. I think these errors are (or were) rather obscure. I suppose it may be unfair to blame Cube, now I think about it.

RWest 20:00 08 Nov 07

Sorry, i forgot the system here assumes a link - it was just a sample long file name.

tillerman 7 00:00 13 Nov 07

I DONT THINK YOU MISJUDGED THEM ,I SPENT A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF CASH ON A HIGH SPEC MACHINE THIS APRIL 3 POWER UNITS,2 MOTHERBOARDS AND 1 HARD DRIVE LATER BAD DESIGN ALLROUND
CHECK ALL THE LATEST THREADS

saleda 21:56 13 Nov 07

They seem to reserve all the good ones for
Spicyspencer.

RWest 01:33 14 Nov 07

Tillerman, where would you go for a high spec PC? I decided to rule out Dell as I seem to recall their website wasn't that good - or at least the robotic FAQ online thing didn't inspire me with confidence. I found a placw about 20 miles away who I went to see, but they never replied - busy, I think. A local place was more concerned with cheapness. The Cube tech people seemed so-so, but then where the hell can you go?

tillerman 7 11:47 14 Nov 07

RWEST,at the moment we are looking at Cougar Extreme systems,have paid a visit to their showroom since its situated quite locally,very helpful seem to be very fair on their prices,spoke to a guy called Mario who fine tuned my requirements, check out their threads
Good Luck.

tillerman 7 11:47 14 Nov 07

RWEST,at the moment we are looking at Cougar Extreme systems,have paid a visit to their showroom since its situated quite locally,very helpful seem to be very fair on their prices,spoke to a guy called Mario who fine tuned my requirements, check out their threads
Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…