Dispute with BT

siouxah1 10:16 01 Apr 10

Hello.
I am looking for some unbiased opinions on an acceptance email received from BT in March of 2009. This is before I try to escalate the dispute.
My contention is that what they are charging me for is not that which is set out in their acceptance email.

Would you read an extract of the acceptance email posted below and give me an opinion of what you consider the package to include. Of course the line rental would be an addition.
They also add a free Homehub and Broadband phone for “free calls” at evenings and weekends.

"Package Details

MORE TALK
BT Total Broadband Option 1 + Unlimited Anytime Calling Plan
BT Total Broadband Option 1 gives you speed, email, basic security package and 10GB monthly usage. £7.78 per month for first 3 months £15.65 thereafter, with an 18 month contract. Plus Unlimited UK landline calls at any time of day, plus calls to UK mobiles for only 7.34p a minute."

The full scanned copy of the email can be seen here.

click here

Regards

Kevscar1 10:30 01 Apr 10

Without a breakdown of the bill showing what you were charged for it's impossible to comment.

Kevscar1 10:32 01 Apr 10

With our package the free calls are limited to 1hr check your small print, if you go over that you pay

siouxah1 12:43 01 Apr 10

Kevscar.
Thank you for your reply. I did not add any further information as I did not want to influence peoples replys. So however.

I contend that I should be getting.

1. Broadband at up to 8Mb and 10GB download.
2. Anytime calls.
3. Broadband phone calls free at evenings and weekend.
All these at the price of£15.65.

They are charging me as follows.
1. Broadband at £15.65
2. Calls st anytime at £5.45.

Both these have line rental added.

By my reckoning that is £5.45 more per month than I should be paying.
I thought someone would read the acceptance email and tell me their opinion as to whether my reading of the contract is the same as theirs.

It is the meaning of the acceptance email that is the problem for me. Hope that is a little clearer.

oresome 13:46 01 Apr 10

I agree that the wording is confusing and it doesn't actually spell out the cost of the add on anytime option.

However looking at your scanned email, it states that the monthly cost for the basic package for months 1 to 3 is £7.78 and yet the monthly charge is shown as £12.63.

I take it that the extra £4.85 is for the anytime option.

realist 15:56 01 Apr 10

Are the "landline calls" in the first para of the email the same type of call as mentioned in the third para? If so the third para is surely irrelevant as you appear to have signed up to an "unlimited anytime calling plan".

Could BT's additional charge refer to direct landline calls not made via internet and perhaps therefore not included in the calling plan?

I think you could argue that everything in the email is included within the quoted £12.63 "total monthly charges" as this charge is not qualified in any other way.

siouxah1 17:46 01 Apr 10

Thank you for your replies Oresome and Realist. I must say it is all very confusing.

Oresome, yes that is how I read it. I have a review of the package that drew me to BT. But confusingly it is called Total More Talk as apposed to the acceptance which says More Talk. However I am still of the opinion that the Anytime calls should be included for no additional cost. LOL.

Realist. The third paragraph refers to Broadband phone line which has a different number and is for evenings and weekends only.

Thank you both for your input. I have been at this for twelve months having sent special delivery letter, internet chat, phone calls to customer service and lastly the BT Forum. All but one have completely ignored my questions and told me things of which I was already aware. This is over multiple phone calls and emails.

The one exception was a phone call which resulted in the person agreeing with me and giving me a twelve month refund on overpaid amounts and into the future to this month. If one person can perceive my problem why not the others? Unfortunately that did not result in a change to the charges. I will soldier on.

PS. Just received an email. Manager to contact me after Easter. I will be satisfied if they recognise the problem even if it is such that they will not change the services.

ronalddonald 19:10 01 Apr 10

will always be expensive and they will always put any conditions and change of terms in small print, they cant be trusted.

They have been like this since they were privatised and when they got rid of busby the bird. When ever they advertise something they always have something written in small their way of telling you it aint cheap in the long run

ronalddonald 19:10 01 Apr 10

will always be expensive and they will always put any conditions and change of terms in small print, they cant be trusted.

They have been like this since they were privatised and when they got rid of busby the bird. When ever they advertise something they always have something written in small their way of telling you it aint cheap in the long run

siouxah1 20:01 01 Apr 10

Thank you Oresome and Realist.You have both helped me to arrive at the following.

Having mulled over the paperwork I have come to the conclusion that I am wrong.

I have not read the carefully worded pieces of paper. Rather like the accountancy obfuscating Bills. I have allowed myself to be seduced by the wording.
The whole thing refers only to the first three months and as you say, the £12.63 is made up of the £7.78 BB and £4.85 for telephone calls.

What a plonker I turned out to be. Will let you know of the outcome if the manager does contact me.

robin_x 23:38 01 Apr 10

Flag it up again one month before your 18 months is up. Threaten to leave.

Research other ISPs first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…