Direct Tuning Freeview Recorder

morddwyd 21:28 PM 22 Jul 11
Answered

I need to record a fringe Freeview transmitter. I used to be able to get it OK with my existing recorder, but since the changeover the more local transmitter swamps the signal from the distant one.

I can still get the signal by direct tuning (Channel 53) on the tv, so I know it's there, but the recorder doesn't have the direct tuning facility.

Any suggestions?

Nothing too fancy, no blu-ray or anything like that, just want to record a local news bulletin every evening.

anchor 08:58 AM 23 Jul 11

Freeview channel 53 is the HD channel for S4C; called S4C Clirlun.

At a guess, your TV is equipped to receive HD broadcasts, but your recorder is not.

dms_05 09:22 AM 23 Jul 11

Channel 53 is used by 89 digital transmitters spread across the UK. Many are local relays but at least one (Pontop Pike) is a main transmitter. You can see a map of post DSO here http://www.ukfree.tv/mapsofsignal.php?c=53&a=1

woodchip 14:57 PM 23 Jul 11

Have you checked the Recorder Setup page as most let you tune manual channels

morddwyd 15:28 PM 23 Jul 11

Thanks for the responses.

The Tx I am trying to pull in is the Angus one, and it's being swamped by Durris.

woodchip

Tried all combinations, but my recorder (a Digifusion 95, long since discontinued - haven't even been able to update the software for about two years or more) - simply doesn't have anything other that "Autotune - Replace" and "Autotune - Add".

A new one is definitely on the cards, just how confident are you that "most" of them have direct tuning? :-)

woodchip 17:10 PM 23 Jul 11

Mine as it, a Dawoo Hard Disc Recorder with Freeview

woodchip 17:10 PM 23 Jul 11

Think its about four years old may be older

anchor 13:37 PM 24 Jul 11

Your forum name of morddwyd led me to think you may be Welsh, or in Wales. Hence my reply above.

morddwyd 15:08 PM 24 Jul 11

anchor

I am Welsh, but an ex-pat living with the other Celtic branch, north of Hadrian's Wall.

Latest - I downloaded some manuals and had a look through and as a result I have ordered a Humax PVR-9150T.

I will update success or otherwise when installed.

morddwyd 08:29 AM 31 Jul 11
Answer

Final update.

The Humax does the job and I can now get some local news again.

Wouldn't generally recommend the Humax though.

Very poor manual, and a clunky interface.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…