Direct Debit

cara 22:49 29 May 03

Not strictly computer related, but certainly 'consumerwatch'.

I cancelled a 'direct debit' several months ago. The dd was arranged by the bank - we had no direct contact with the company concerned.

Stangely the dd resurfaced last week, when 6 payments were taken in on day. Contacted the bank and the payments were refunded.

However, I notice today that another payment has been taken.

Who would I take issue with - the bank, or the company concerned? How can these payments be taken although authority to take payments has been withdrawn?

Thanks
Cara

rev.bem 23:08 29 May 03

Contact your bank it is there responsibility to reimburse you.

cara 23:40 29 May 03

The bank originally refunded me, so that aspect is not a problem.

However, the money has been taken again, and it is the hassle ringing the bank up again etc.

My question is, is the bank responsible for allowing a cancelled dd to be taken out of my account repeatedly?

davidg_richmond 00:36 30 May 03

If you can bank over the internet, I know my own bank lets me cancel direct debits myself. It's surprising how many old direct debits were still 'active' but no money was coming out - when a DD stops it seems either side does not cancel the mandate itself, but stop requesting payments. They can start again easily as the mandate is still active.

jeez 01:22 30 May 03

If you had already cancelled the dd then the way I see it it's fraud/theft, I'd contact the police for advice

hoverman 08:17 30 May 03

If you cancelled the direct debit via your bank then surely they should not make any payments at all if a further request comes in.

cara 12:54 30 May 03

Checked online this morn. It appears the dd transaction was 'provisional' - i.e. the company had requested the money, but today the bank refused, unlike last week - if this makes any sense!

Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Thanks for your comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…