Dipping my toes.................

Dellman 12:07 03 Sep 04

I was with Dell for previous purchase, but now looking to MESH since Dell could not match in terms of system requirements/price. I was also looking at a COMPAQ system at PCworld......but they were out of stock. I've seen a Which survey which indicated only 10% very happy, and around a further 35% who were happy with Mesh.........so I guess its a 50/50 as to what kind of service you get..........bad odds?........however the balance of opinion here seems very much more less than 45% ........hmmmm. Should I wait for COMPAQ system at PCWorld?......what are they like for after sales service?

€dstowe 13:13 03 Sep 04

Both Dell and Compaq use non standard components which makes it difficult to upgrade or repair, if that became necessary, unless you use (expensive) exclusive parts.

Better to buy a machine built from industry standard parts which will be cheaper, in greater variety and possibly more reliable.

Mesh use standard parts as do many other companies. Ask before you buy.

€d

Dellman 13:51 03 Sep 04

Thanks Ed
MESH however appear to get above-average level of complaints aimed at them when compared to the other companies in this Forum..........however in the instances when the purchase has gone well, people appear to be prepared to go back to them second/third time round..........hmmm. I've gone for Return to Base 3 year warranty since I live in North London, not far from their offices, so if any probs I guess I can knock on their door!!......good ploy or not?

€dstowe 14:16 03 Sep 04

Hmmm... I'm not particularly recommending Mesh but remember that it is all relative. Mesh is a large company and produces a lot of computers. Proportional to the number of machines made, the number of complaints is low - it's just that people are more inclined to complain than praise.

Dellman 14:42 03 Sep 04

Thanks Ed....Am I future proofing my machine to any extent.....I have gone for Athlon 64 +3000 processor, 512 RAM, 128 Graphics Card, 16xDual Layer DVD RW + DVD ROM, 17"TFT, 6in1 Card Reader, Wireless keyboard/mouse, Firewire......all for £820........3 yr BTB warranty.....bargain?

€dstowe 16:11 03 Sep 04

I can't really comment on value for money. I have very exacting (finicky, if you like) requirements and my machines are made for me by a very small manufacturer (my father).

€d

Dellman 16:42 03 Sep 04

Er...........maybe I should have gone to your dad first!!

€dstowe 17:39 03 Sep 04

He doesn't build commercially, just does it as a favour for me:-)

961 19:24 03 Sep 04

Dellman

You can consider building your own. It is not hard if you take your time. click here gives you an indication of if it's for you. You'll find it fun and you'll then have your own engineer on site, free.

If not, then remember between 2% and 8% of computers arrive not working for one reason or another. That's when you find out what after sales service is like

I've bought Mesh computers and found them good value and well built. Service has varied over the years but after a couple of years of what many have said was indifferent service now appears to be on an improving trend

As indicated above, Dell among others have components which are built specially for them and it is often difficult to upgrade the machines without going back to them which can be very expensive. Dell machines are very keenly priced these days and usually work well

With PCWorld you can go and look at the thing in the shop. You can see one working and if you buy one you can take it home without a delivery man dropping it on the way, and if it doesn't work, and you have paid by credit card you can take it straight back and kick up merry whatever and get it changed

At the end of the day it's your choice but PCWorld certainly removes the mail order hassle if you have one locally. I'm not sure if you have actually ordered a Mesh locally and if they are round the corner and you can avoid the "return to base" syndrome then that may be a good choice

Dellman 13:13 04 Sep 04

Thanks 961.............

I'll probably go for the MESH. I've also taken up their 6months interest free credit......so should have the same protection as a Credit Card purchase under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

No doubt you'll hear from me in here if I have any probs!!

BTW......anyone know much bout MESH monitors....are they any good?

Dellman 13:13 04 Sep 04

Thanks 961.............

I'll probably go for the MESH. I've also taken up their 6months interest free credit......so should have the same protection as a Credit Card purchase under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

No doubt you'll hear from me in here if I have any probs!!

BTW......anyone know much bout MESH monitors....are they any good?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…