Digital Video Editing PC - Recommendations?

phoenix198 19:53 18 Aug 03

A friend who (mistakenly) regards me as his PC guru wants to buy a new PC principally for editing digicam movies. Unfortunately its not really an area I greatly understand so I'd welcome recommendations on either specific systems sold by the major OEMs (Dell, Evesham, Mesh, etc) or the right level of specification to buy from a smaller OEM (Carrera, Poweroid, Novatech, Systemaxx, etc) or an independent dealer.

Ideal budget would be sub £1000 (vat inclusive).

trinity 21:21 18 Aug 03

Here is some advice about 'capturing' home movies. Included is advice about what hardware you will need to capture. click here

You will also need either a cdrw or dvdrw to produce the movies to play in the pc or stand alone player.

Some articles for info click here and click here and click here

bfoc 22:21 18 Aug 03

Two machines which had All in Wonder cards in them with the specific aim of importing and editing Video. Unfortunately I have not as yet been able to do as much as I would like but the AIW cards seem to provide well for it.

At the moment I do know that Evesham do some 'Wonder' products but it is also possible to configure other of their systems with an AIW card. As well as being capture cards they are also TV tuners.

I'll look at their site and provide some links, but it appears to be down at the moment.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:24 18 Aug 03

I believe that Evesham click here have some computers especially for Videdits. I am also told that Macs are well respected for editing.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:25 18 Aug 03

...ahhhh! Just seen the 'sub £1000' caveat....please forget the above ;-))

G

MichelleC 09:15 19 Aug 03

Usually the video packages 'bundled' with new pc's are best thrown away. ie; Dell's 'Dazzle/VideoWave' has caused more frustration than actual production.

You need the basic essential of a 2nd hd, but anything else in today's spec will be fine. Look for a company which will give you the best aftersales support.

This link will help: click here

DV editing is a long learning curve which will take a while to find out what works best. To give some idea this is my spec:

HARDWARE:
W2k,
Athlon AMD 1.2 gb,
512 ram,
main hd 40gb 5400,
2nd hd 60gb 7200,
external hd 120gb,
DVD 16x,
cdwr 52x 24x 52x,
1394 firewire,

SOFTWARE:
Video Factory,
Magix Video deluxe,

DV CAMCORD:
Sony TRV 120E.

bfoc 11:59 19 Aug 03

Can be configured with an AIW card and, with 3 years on-site warranty, would then cost £945.21.

Just a thought.

bfoc 14:12 19 Aug 03

This machine click here

Can be configured with an AIW card and, with 3 years on-site warranty, would then cost £945.21 ex vat.

Just a thought.

phoenix198 07:13 20 Aug 03

Thank you everybody. I now know WAY more than I thought I'd ever need to know about digital video!

Special thanks to bfoc - from my friend's reaction, it looks like Mesh now have a new customer. (Let's hope their quality and customer care processes are having a good day)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…