//some 3rd party need geo

Digital television and Freeview boxes.

diogenes 14:35 24 Jan 04

First of all I sorry if I have started this thread in the wrong place. In the old days I would have popped into the Lounge for a chat but...

I have recently bought a Freeview box. Installation went OK and the results are fine. I have no complaints about any of that.

The problem comes in the range of channels available i.e.; BBCs1,2 & 3,CBBC,News24 and BBCi.
Am I correct in thinking that there should be more?

Perhaps where I live, SW Sheffield is not blessed with the full range of services?

Perhaps I need a new aerial?

Any help would be most gratefully received. Thank you in anticipation.

Diogenes.

canard 14:54 24 Jan 04

When Freeview is fully up and running, they will then be able to receive the following channels for free:

BBC One

BBC Two

BBC Three - the BBC's youth-oriented channel which is due to launch in early 2003. Until then, BBC Choice will feature.

BBC Four - a "highbrow" culture and current affairs channel that has its own world news bulletin as well as world cinema, concerts, discussion shows and documentaries.

ITV1

ITV2 - ITV's second channel that has shown programmes complimenting ITV's main channel, such as Survivor: Raw, imports like The Late Show with David Letterman, and extra sports coverage.

Channel 4

Five

S4C (Wales only) - Welsh sister channel of Channel 4 with Welsh-language programming.

BBC News 24 - continuous news channel.

Sky News - continuous news channel.

ITV News Channel - continuous news channel. Used to be known as the ITN News Channel.

Sky Sports News - continuous sports news channel.

UK History - a new channel to meet the growing demand for history shows on TV, drawing on the BBC's extensive archive.

CBBC - BBC children's channel for six to 13-year-olds featuring Newsround, comedy, drama, factual shows and Blue Peter spin-offs.

Cbeebies - BBC channel for children under six. Includes favourites like Teletubbies and Tweenies, a story hour and the BBC's first pre-school drama.

UK TV - Lifestyle programmes, launching in January.

BBC Parliament - live coverage of proceedings in the House of Commons and House of Lords.

F tn - Flextech Television Network. A new general entertainment channel, launching in January.

The Hits - A music channel provided by Emap, the company behind Smash Hits, Q and Kerrang!.

The Music Factory - Another music channel, this time provided by MTV.

The Community Channel - the UK's first charity television channel, focusing on different campaigns and encouraging the public to "turn viewing into doing".

S4C2 (Wales only) - live coverage from the Welsh National Assembly. Already on DTT in Wales.

Sky Travel - offering holiday deals and programmes about destinations.

QVC - shopping channel.

TV Travel Shop - offering holiday deals.

BBCi - interactive television and text, such as the Wimbledon Interactive service that lets viewers choose which court they watch.

Teletext Interactive digital text service.

Seven BBC radio stations - 1Xtra, 6 Music, BBC 7, Radio Five Live, Five Live Sports Extra, and the Asian Network - plus the World Service.

Five commercial radio stations - Smash Hits!, Kerrang!, Kiss, Oneword and Jazz FM.

The BBC has promised that because there will be fewer channels than there were on ITV Digital, each will have a stronger signal - reducing problems with interference.

Diemmess 15:04 24 Jan 04

If you are reasonably close to Sheffield and not at the bottom of a crevasse, I would have thought you are missing more than half of the free channels.

I life in a poor reception area, content to let my son set the gear up for me.

If you can have a picture on the channels you mention you should be able to receive many more, unless your local transmitter is not carrying them all.

There should be ITV2, UK History, The SKY news BBC 3, 4, 5, etc, Parliament and various awful auction sites. I can find umpteen channels but as it is freeview, not all have anything available.

The whole business is a spot ramshackle, a way out of the collapse of ITV dreams and government discomfort. My digibox will only answer to the remote.

Have another try at setting it up, and the best of luck. There is a help number regularly broadcast on the Beeb, which may be of use.

Newuser4165 15:34 24 Jan 04

Check out which transmitter you need to align your aerial on:-
click here

jakimo 16:39 24 Jan 04

This may help
click here

Al94 17:02 24 Jan 04

I think it is possible you need a high gain aerial especially for digital to get the rest of the stations.

Newuser38 18:48 24 Jan 04

sounds as though you need a high gain aerial as Al94 says. I got one from Argos and fitted it high in the loft. The instructions suggest that it should be outside, and fitted by experts, but I get 99% of the progs listed by canard mine come from Sutton Colefield.

carver 18:51 24 Jan 04

what is your post code in Sheffield, certain parts can not pick up a strong enough signal for decent pictures. I live in S17 and cannot get freeview even with an upgraded aerial. If you have problems picking channel 5 up, you will also have signal problems with freeview.

diogenes 19:59 24 Jan 04

Thank you for replying.

I live in S7.

I have heard tell of something called the Abbeydale/Totley Syncline which affects TV reception. We cannot get channel 5.

The pictures on the channels that I have are fine.

Diogenes

carver 20:38 24 Jan 04

The last time I checked about digital reception in this area I was told it will not be working properly till 2006-2007, the transmitters for this area will not be upgraded till then, so I finished up having Sky.

carver 20:52 24 Jan 04

If you go onto Abbeydale Road, going in the direction of town, about 300-400 yards before Broadfield Rd there is an old petrol station now doing car washes, on the other side of the road is an aerial shop(think it's called JB aerials) they can tell you for certain if a new aerial will help or not and they will not fit one unless it's really needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…