Digital SLR's

JACC 13:16 21 Sep 06

This is not strickly a PC problem but i'll be using it to edit shots and store pictures ,so i apologise .Does anyone own a digital slr camera , i'm thinking of buying one and would like your advice on what to look out for when buying one for the first time . I'm looking to spend around £400-500 maybe more .

pj123 13:46 21 Sep 06

I don't have a true Digital SLR but the one I have is just as good, except I can't change lenses. (Minolta Z1,) click here

Most true digital SLR camera's come as "body only" in your price range. You would need to add a lens of your choice.

Have a look here:

click here

Newuser4165 13:52 21 Sep 06

Have a look here:-
click here

PS It's an American site with links to UK.

terryf 14:00 21 Sep 06

look at eos350D, may be less expensive now that a successor has come out (but with few changes)

Stuartli 14:05 21 Sep 06

There are new Nikon and Canon digital SLRs. See:

click here

ventanas 15:56 21 Sep 06

I find this site very useful for camera reviews, but some of the later releases (eg Nikon D80) may be missing click here

But I very much doubt if you will get a SLR and lenses for the price you are indicating, with the possible exception of the Nikon D50. click here=

premier man 16:17 21 Sep 06

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a SLR and an ordinary digital camera,also the advantage??

hastelloy 16:25 21 Sep 06

There are 3 things which dictate the quality in a digital camera. Megapixels is easy as this is generally quoted in the specs. The other 2 are the lens and the ccd (or other sensor). The top makes are Canon and Nikon - I prefer Canon, but that's a personal preference. I would go to a Jessops, or similar, and get them to demonstrate a few in your price range to see what suits you.

Stuartli 16:29 21 Sep 06

An SLR is a single lens reflex camera, either film digital. You view the actual scene through the lens itself and, when the shutter is released, an interior mirror lifts up, the photo is taken and the interior mirror returns to its position. It all happens in a fraction of a second.

It's the most accurate method of framing a photograph as a normal viewfinder is slightly offline, especially in closeup shots (hence the problem of parellax).

To ensure that the scene can be viewed right way and right way round, an SLR has a prisom and a mirror (placed at an angle of 45 degrees so it reflects the image to the prisim).

However, some digital "SLRs" are styled on this type of camera rather than being the real thing.

Stuartli 16:29 21 Sep 06

...either film or digital....

Stuartli 16:32 21 Sep 06

I almost forgot to point out that "proper" SLR cameras have interchangeable lenses - you can have a fixed focal length or a zoom - and see exactly what will appear in the viewfinder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced