Digital Camera/Photo Quality Question

Sibbo 19:19 04 Oct 05

I currently own a Canon Digital Ixus 400 Camera (4 Megapixel)which produces fantastic quality photo's up to A4 size. My question is this. If I upgraded to the Digital IXUS 750 would it produce better quality A4 prints? I know the Ixus 750 can produce photo's up to A3 size but I was wondering about the smaller prints. TIA

Totally-braindead 19:46 04 Oct 05

I am not a camera expert but I would have thought that the larger photos A4 or A3 you would definatly see the difference but with the smaller prints you wouldn't. Have a look here and see if the cameras are listed click here or perhaps they may be more info here click here

hzhzhz 19:55 04 Oct 05

canon ixus 750 or sd550 as its also known by is 7.1mp camera. Probably wont notice huge difference in small pics. I think 750 is fully automatic but does take good prints. Much better to upgrade to powershot a95 or similar where you can be in control of shutter/aperture etc. Thats if you want to of course.

Stuartli 20:04 04 Oct 05

Most people's digital photographs come into being from a .jpeg file.

I recently downloaded a big TIFF wedding photo file from my 2MB Minolta digital camera's onto CD-R, plus the .jpeg alternative, and took both to Max Spielmann for each to be printed on 10x8 paper.

Both files were sent from the shop direct to its Leeds processing centre and the prints came back a day or so later.

There was no discernable difference between them.

tamc98 21:13 04 Oct 05

Sibbo,

The easy answer is yes. You will get a better picture from the higher res' model. The easiest why to find out how much better would be to download sample images from both cameras and print them off. Assuming you have a photo printer you can download them from here; click here and here; click here.

HTH, Tony

Ancient Learner 21:18 04 Oct 05

I now own a Olympus C7070 7Megapixal camera. My first digital after many years with an Olympus 2n top of the range film SLR.

I take in super JPeg (6mb) and convert into tiff (21mb)as soon as I transfer to the PC.

I must say that the quality of the prints, most of which are well cropped, at A4 size are vastly superior to anything that I've ever had before, and I am delighted.

The more resolution you can get the better if you are going to crop etc. And, if you are printing at A4 size, I would expect that you are putting the photos through some photo software.

tamc98 21:22 04 Oct 05

P.S.

If your upgrading why not go for the A620 instead of another Ixus. The A620 is a more 'advanced' camera. It has the same sensor and processor as the Ixus but has more features and you can still have your Ixus 400 for the times you need a real pocket cam'.

Tony

tamc98 21:38 04 Oct 05

Ancient Learner,

Why are you converting to TIFF. You only really need to do this if you intend to do some post processing in photoshop, paintshop, etc and will be saving the image multiple times. If you're not touching up your images keep them as JPEG's and save youself disk space.

Ancient Learner 22:03 04 Oct 05

Exactly. I do process in paintshop and photosuite, and in that performance tend to save umpteen times.

It takes me back to the 1950's when I spent a lot of time in the darkroom, enlarging and printing. Wonderful! :))

Ancient Learner 22:03 04 Oct 05

Exactly. I do process in paintshop and photosuite, and in that performance tend to save umpteen times.

It takes me back to the 1950's when I spent a lot of time in the darkroom, enlarging and printing. Wonderful! :))

paddy75 10:11 05 Oct 05

Ancient Learner,i thought Tiffs where high quality files with most of the picture information stored, so a Jpeg will have a lot less info so what is the point of converting to Jpeg, the info has not been captured in the first place, so other than a bigger file size there should be no differance in quality.Paddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…