Digital Camera! Which one do you reccomend

muscic lover 14:49 11 Jun 05

I have a family holiday (once in a lifetime trip to Australia) in a couple of months time.

I want to take a digital camera that can zoom in /out and take video as well. I dont care what the camera LOOKS like but it must take AA batteries only and have a flash facility too. Am i asking too much?

With all the reviews and similar what camera would you use take.

I have a budget of £200 maximum for the camera! I am OK using manual settings but would prefer the camera to work it all out for me.

Maybe you have a camera you use, what is it like?

Thanks in advance.

De Marcus 16:00 11 Jun 05

You'll get some good recomendations from forum members I've no doubt, however you can't beat popping down to your local store and handling the thing yourself and get a feel for it, any questions you have I'm sure the clerk can answer.

Hamish 16:04 11 Jun 05

Hi, I recently bought a Canon A95 camera, runs on AA batteries, uses compact flash cards, 3x zoom and cost under £200. I bought it from ebuyer where you can get extra memory. Bought a case and extra batteries from click here click here

AQlso check out this site click here

The camera takes very good pictures

Pinelea 16:04 11 Jun 05

My preference, balancing cost and features, is the Minolta Dimage Z10. Just under £200, plenty of features, a little bulky, but with an 8x optical zoom, plus optional digital. Splendid images, in spite of only 3Mpixel rating. See recent PC Advisor reviews. I've had mine since September, with an additional 128 Mb card. Delighted with it.

Hamish 16:15 11 Jun 05

I should have added that the Canon A95 is a 5 megapixel model and whatever one you choose do remember the extra memory and spare batteries

wjrt 16:52 11 Jun 05

some cameras like Olympus can use AA batts or li-ion CR-V3 battery if using this battery then quite probably because of the low inherent voltage of NI-MH rechargeable the camera does not operate for long if this is the case then you can buy rechargeable Li-ion RCR-V3 from Tantronics as above or Eurobatteries

pj123 17:20 11 Jun 05

Well I suppose we will all recommend the camera we use.

I have the Minolta Z1 now been superceded. Takes standard (4) AA batteries but I use NiMh rechargeables.

10 x optical zoom really good quality pics. Have printed out up to A4. Looks and feels just like an ordinary SLR 35mm camera.

Have a look here: click here

HXP 02:29 12 Jun 05

Been using a digi cam for 2 years now - here are a few things to consider

Batteries - if you are going for AA buy at least 2100 mah with a suitable charger.
Don't buy a cheap charger & then 2100 batteries as the charger will not charge them properly.

Betteries are rated from 150 up to at least 2100 mah the only thing to remember is the higher the rating the longer they last.

Having said that my cannon has specific cannon rechargeable batteries that last for about 250 - 300 pics.

Buy a camera that takes sd of cf memory ( cheaper ) I'm afraid that excludes Sony who use their own memory format.

The higher the optical zoom the better - digital zoom is different and not as good.

Go for image stabilisation if you can.

Digi cams can have 'fast film' settings great for night shots but some increased digital noise speeds range from 50 to over 400 the higher the number the ' faster the film ' the better it is for darker scenes. ( yep no film in a digicam but it alters the sensitivity of the sensor so it's the same sort of thing) mine rages from 50 to 400.

Buy a camera with a good flash - those indoor shots need it.

Buy a good case to protect it from knocks.

Buy some spare memory cards.

Buy spare batteries.

Back up cards if you can or get piccies printed out locally & post em to yourself at home when you can.

Buy a cheapo pont and click disposable just in case batteries go during that once in a lifetime shot.

Don't forget the second hand market ( Jessops) some good bargains

Apart from that have a god holiday

( My camera is a Canon G2 - fantastic like all canon kit )

HXP

HXP 02:31 12 Jun 05

Been using a digi cam for 2 years now - here are a few things to consider

Batteries - if you are going for AA buy at least 2100 mah with a suitable charger.
Don't buy a cheap charger & then 2100 batteries as the charger will not charge them properly.

Betteries are rated from 150 up to at least 2100 mah the only thing to remember is the higher the rating the longer they last.

Having said that my cannon has specific cannon rechargeable batteries that last for about 250 - 300 pics.

Buy a camera that takes sd of cf memory ( cheaper ) I'm afraid that excludes Sony who use their own memory format.

The higher the optical zoom the better - digital zoom is different and not as good.

Go for image stabilisation if you can.

Digi cams can have 'fast film' settings great for night shots but some increased digital noise speeds range from 50 to over 400 the higher the number the ' faster the film ' the better it is for darker scenes. ( yep no film in a digicam but it alters the sensitivity of the sensor so it's the same sort of thing) mine rages from 50 to 400.

Buy a camera with a good flash - those indoor shots need it.

Buy a good case to protect it from knocks.

Buy some spare memory cards.

Buy spare batteries.

Back up cards if you can or get piccies printed out locally & post em to yourself at home when you can.

Buy a cheapo pont and click disposable just in case batteries go during that once in a lifetime shot.

Don't forget the second hand market ( Jessops) some good bargains

Apart from that have a god holiday

( My camera is a Canon G2 - fantastic like all canon kit )

HXP

961 09:57 12 Jun 05

You need a good lens. Without that all is lost. It needs a minimum of 3x optical zoom

Read the highly respected views at click here and click here

IMHO no 1 for lens quality is Canon with Sony not too far behind

You need an optical viewfinder to take good pictures, more so than ever in bright sun. Turn the screen off, the batteries will last twice as long

Whatever batteries you use you will need to research how you are going to recharge them. Ordinary AA batteries are a no-no. You need 2100 NIMH. If you can find a means to recharge Li-IOn then they are the best. Otherwise you WILL need to recharge AA

Take a number of memory cards, not just one big one. These cards can and do fail in heat and humidity and if all your pictures are on one big one that goes awol you will be mortified

Totally-braindead 10:39 12 Jun 05

For reviews click here regarding what you should get it depends. Certainly go for a high pixel rating, as an example theres the Kodak 7530 good camera with a good lens. Make sure whatever you buy it has a good lens as that makes a huge difference to the quality of the picture you can get. Regarding batteries I went to 7 day shop and would suggest something like this click here if you plan to use it when travelling because this will take 110v supplies as well as 240v (mentioned this cos I'm unsure of the voltage in Australia). The batteries are good capacity NIMH ones as well. Also from my point of view its better to have 3 or 4 memory cards rather than 1 large one in case, as was pointed out something happens to a card, if you have 1 card and something happens you lose everything. I also took a card reader and a couple of blank CDs with me and my Nero program so I could delete the photos after burning them onto CD, but I was going to my sisters in the US at the time and knew I could use her computer to do this so perhaps thats not an option for you, but if you do start running out of memory cards you can either get a photo shop to burn them on a CD for you or buy another card. As has been mentioned don't buy low capacity batteries, if you buy 1600s for example you may find they are flat after only a couple of dozen shots but if you get 2300s you'll get much more. Incidently 7 day shop do cameras as well although I'd always recommend shopping about to compare prices and their memory cards are cheap too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…