digital camera download file quality

dugit 14:08 24 Aug 04

I have just bought my first digital camera a canon ixus 430 and after downloading files which are jpg (I have Adobe Photoshop Elements)should I then save the jpg files as psd format as I understand that everytime you save a jpg file its quality is reduced?
Also the few pictures I have downloaded so far all appear to be better on screen if Adobe unsharp is applied would the same be seen on actual prints?

oresome 17:05 24 Aug 04

Like you, I save as psd. Everytime you make an alteration to a jpeg and then save, it will attempt to further compress as you state.

I find screen images usually improve with a little sharpening. It probably depends on the degree of manipulation already applied within the particular camera.

Printed images likewise benefit from sharpening in my case, but I think you will have to experiment with prints, as what you see on the screen can differ markedly from how a print turns out, regarding brightness, contrast and colour saturation.

TomJerry 11:15 25 Aug 04

Better to keep original jpg intake, just simply copy picture files from digi camrea to computer and then you can do anything you want with other copies.

dugit 13:29 25 Aug 04

Stuartli 14:22 25 Aug 04

If you have Irfanview (and it's well worth it) open one of your Canon's picture files.

Then click on the small i within a red circle at the top of the Irfanview panel. You will bring up details of your file including its resolution, original file size (TIFF?), its .jpeg size, date pic taken etc,

The EXIF info button will bring up the make and model of camera, exposure details, whether flash was used etc.

iambeavis 14:34 25 Aug 04

The main reason for saving images in the PSD format is that it preserves any individual layers you may have created. This allows you to work on the image, using each individual layer, over a period of time. For non layered images you can save your images in TIFF format which will allow you to work on the image and save it without any loss of quality from that point on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…