Digital camera from Aldi

sierra 16:09 13 Nov 03

I have just read a report in another mag about a digital camera being offered by Aldi as from dec 14th. It received a "buy it ", 5 star status. The camera is called Traveler dc-5300, resolution 5mpx .price £230.

alcudia 16:59 13 Nov 03

Just type the name into google.

Then learn a language. Umpteen sites but not one in English.

The price is to good to be true, in fact it's rediculous. Personally I would'nt touch it, and I would doubt the possibility of repair should it need it, due to the lack of info in English.

Stuartli 17:16 13 Nov 03

This is the company (Taiwan's SKANHEX TECHNOLOGY INC) which produced the Traveller camera earlier this year:

click here

Digital camera products are found at:

click here

If you type Aldi into the first Search panel field and then All Discussion and Threads and Titles, you will find plenty about Aldi's digital camera offerings in the past.

Stuartli 17:23 13 Nov 03

Just for interest, a lot of digital cameras from many leading brands are actually produced by a number of Taiwanese manufacturers; in fact 67 per cent of digital cameras sold in the States are manufactured in Taiwan.

China is also stepping up digital camera production - it already churns out many of the computer hardware and components we take for granted.

It's the usual reason of low prices and, usually, quality products, built to specification for Western brands.

sierra 18:08 13 Nov 03

It sounds like a very good deal to me from a well known high street store.

spuds 18:54 13 Nov 03

The problem with any Aldi special offers, if it's very good, then it usually sells extremely fast, with no further supplies available.Things like Medion computers,usually sell extremely well.

sierra 19:01 13 Nov 03

Yes, it does say in the artical that the offer is "from dec 14th for a limited period".

sierra 19:52 13 Nov 03

Sorry i cant spell.should be "article"

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:44 13 Nov 03

1) Aldi is a German company, a quick scan will show that not many Engish Company's websites are in German as well.

2) English is not the most widely spoken languauge in the world.

3) The price is good and ther eis no reason why it should be ridiculous.

4) 'rediculous'...'would'nt'...glass houses+stones+throw.

Alcudia is not speaking from experience merely from lack of experinec. Aldi are a very well known company in Germany and are well-known on this forum for flogging the Medion uber-computers and assorted cheap geek gear. Read the spec sheet carefully and see if the camera matches tyour specs. there is a good chance that the camera is re-badged.

Dragon Heart 22:11 13 Nov 03

Talk about rebadged, could it be a Ricoh DC-5300 ? then try click here for sample shots.

LIDL are offering a NYTECH ND-4020 (4 meg) camera with 3x optical zoom / 4x digital, quick recharger, USB cable, 128mb SD card, built in mic, carry case & 4 1800mAh rechargeable batteries for £199 !
On the subject of repairs I recall the early days of CB radio, with most wiring diagrams in Japanese, but they still got repaired !.

Stuartli 09:10 14 Nov 03

Aldi and Lidl are brothers....

Here's a review of the ND-4020:

click here

It's translated from German.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…