Digicam for £100 with Optical Zoom - About 3mp?

GibsonSt19 23:36 20 Dec 03

Anyone know where I could find something like this for this type of price?

Ta muchly

wags 00:21 21 Dec 03

IMHO you will need to up your budget abit if you want a 3mp camera. I think you will need to settle on 2mp and maybe with fixed lens.

If you can up the budget by £50 it will give you more choice. eg.I bought my wife an Olmympus Camedia C350Z 3.2mp with 3x optical zoom at a bargain price of £152 (Original RRP £250)

sdf 01:08 21 Dec 03

I was going to write a thread about how little luck you would have finding that spec for that price but: click here - just to be sure - I am not endorsing this product - I don't know if its good or bad - but worth a look. definately a quality supplier

Tim1964 22:58 22 Dec 03

sdf, It only has a digital zoom. :-(

wags 23:40 22 Dec 03

Tim1964, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for !

Digital zooms are of course useless, but at this budget cost, it would be hard to see how an optical zoom could be included without major compromises being made elsewhere, with for example the quality of the lens. Personally I would rather have a 2mp camera with a fixed, but quality lens, than a 3mp with ropey lens !

GibsonSt19, what size prints do you intend producing ? Since, if only 6x4 or at a pinch 7x5, a good quality 2mp would be generally acceptable.

Stuartli 17:16 23 Dec 03

Have you woken up from that dream yet...:-)

Wait for about 12-15 months and you should be able to find what you want.

Sheila-214876 15:41 24 Dec 03

As wags says digital zoom is useless. But from the Ads I have seen recently there are quite a few 2 to 3mps cameras being offered by the BIG stores, Comet, Currys, Jessops, PC World etc... at around £150. Stretch your budget a bit, you only have to do it once, (till next year). Last year I bought a Nikon 2mp camera with 3x optical zoom for £149 from Curry's. Brilliant camera. This year they seem to be 3mp cameras with 3x optical zoom for about the same price. Who knows what next year will bring, getting better all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…