Digi Cam recommendations?

Sir Radfordin 23:34 27 Jul 04

Anyone able to recommend a digital camera suitable for a novice user who has a reasonable understanding of 'old style photography' and uses an SLR camera. I expect a digital SLR will be out of the price range (circa £300 I think).

Camera will be put to the test on a 'round Britain' sailing challenge so something that is sturdy and can have cheap/large memory added to it would be ideal. Long battery life also an advantage.

The problem with knowing a bit about computers is people expect you to be able to recommend products for them all the time! I don't really buy camera so am looking for some help on this one. TIA.

Salinger 23:46 27 Jul 04

Don't think you'll get a digital SLR for £300 but you can get the Konica Minolta Z2 for about £250 - excellent pics plus videos at camcorder definition (almost).

andrew-216448 01:38 28 Jul 04

how about this one click here

one23 05:57 28 Jul 04

Have a look at the Canon range . You can even buy a dedicated waterproof case , essential if taking it sailing. click here

Go along to Jessops if you have a branch near to you. I found them to be very helpful and let me hold and try out various models in my price range.

one23 06:06 28 Jul 04

Or here click here

TECHNODIMWIT 08:20 28 Jul 04

best to find a camera that uses rechargeable AA`s rather than a dedicated one, as spares are cheaper and a set of Duracell's makes a good backup.

Al94 08:53 28 Jul 04

I recommend the olympus mju400 click here as it has a weatherproof case as standard which is essential for the sort of use it will be getting. Great features, 4mp and 3x optical zoom. Small enough to fit in a shirt pocket and superb picture quality. I have had one for 6 months now.

Al94 12:55 28 Jul 04

or, if your friend is willing to pay more and wants something more like an SLR click here

Stuartli 13:09 28 Jul 04

Only £329.99 at svcdirect.co.uk

But strictly speaking it's not an SLR - there's only an optical viewfinder and an LCD screen.

christmascracker 13:19 28 Jul 04

I'll go along with Salinger.

Bought one last week. Saw it on Amazon for £229, rang Jessops who are selling it for £280. BUT they do price match. ?It's a great camera too

961 18:58 28 Jul 04

I've had 3 Canon digital cameras and I would not think of suggesting anything else. If you're into SLR you'll know all about Canon lenses

A 3x optical zoom is probably enough. Take pictures on highest quality settings and you can sort all the problems later

If you are going on a boat it's a good idea to buy a number of memory cards rather than one great big one so that if one is faulty or gets salty you won't lose all your pictures.

AA rechargeable batteries are probably best for a boat. You can buy several sets and charge them before you go

Don't get a camera without an optical viewfinder. Virtually all my pics are taken looking through the viewfinder, just like an SLR, rather than through the camera display which is usually pretty useless especially in bright conditions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…