Difference Between ATX and AT and Micro ATX???

Rakesh-227404 11:45 20 Aug 03

I want to start building a computer but the only thing i am confused about is the different pc cases, theres so many different types and what motherboards fit into which? i search the forum but couldnt find anything.

also im am going to be using the PC in uni so i would like it to be small, such as the new small form factor pc's that are available but i dnt really mind as long as the tower has 1 drive bay for a dvd rom drive and another for a floppy drive.

DieSse 11:53 20 Aug 03

You won't get an AT case or components if you're buying new now. They're an old standard, not made for some 5 or 6 years past.

The only comment I would make about cases, is try and manage with a standard size - the mini cases are all well and good, but are a tad "crammed - so makeing cooling more problematical, and upgrading difficult.

With a standard sized tower, you can use any motherboard you want, as there will be space for any size. It also means no buying mistakes over sizes, as almost anything you buy will fit into the case.

Rakesh-227404 11:56 20 Aug 03

what is the actual name for a standard sized tower? mini, midi theres so many names, so dam confusing

DieSse 12:26 20 Aug 03

Don't worry about what they're called - just look at the sizes - normally around 40-44cms high.

Rakesh-227404 12:30 20 Aug 03

ok cool.

Stuartli 21:47 20 Aug 03

A midi tower is about the same in height as a 17in monitor.

The reason for AT, ATX etc cases revolves around the power supply unit and what voltages are supplied to the motherboard etc.

The mobo's dimensions and fixing facilities within the case are also involved.

See: click here for an explanation of the various form factors.

Rakesh-227404 00:31 22 Aug 03

Stuartli thanks thats what i wanted a bit of good info, PCA should write a little article on this kind of thing, know everything about a computer apart from the most important thing the case lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…