Did I get what I paid for?

dagbladet 10:42 01 Jan 06

I'm having a nightmare with my first attempt at Graphics card upgrade. Latest epsisode includes reserving a card, using the 'collect at store' scheme at PCW, driving across to Orpington only to be told "we can't find them, we should have three". OK fair enough, these things happen, but one of the features of collect at store is taking your phone number. Surely a quick call to say "don't bother coming, we'll let you know if we find it etc". I appreciate it's a busy time but why take my phone number? Anyway the following the card was once again showing as in stock, once again I did collect at store, this time picked it up. Now I have got it home I see it is not the 'Sapphire' that I reserved but a 'Powercolor'. Now the numbers all appear the same but looking at PCW's site they are definately two different cards. I know nothing about graphic cards and this could well be a case of PCW using initiative and substituting like for like. I suppose that the fact that I can't install the card is, to a degree what is irritating me most but i'll save that for the helproom.

dagbladet 11:04 01 Jan 06

This is what I reserved click here

This is what I got
click here

hzhzhz 11:24 01 Jan 06

Contact PCW and ask them if they have the sapphire in stock. If they do then ask if you can swap. If they dont then you could ask for a refund as the powercolol was not what you ordered, or you can keep the powercolor. Personally I would not be too concerned about the different makes of card. I would make sure that PCW realise that they have not supplied what you ordered and get reciepts adjusted if you keep the powercolor.

dagbladet 11:30 01 Jan 06

Big problem is trying to contact the actual store and not some central call centre.

PaulB2005 11:38 01 Jan 06

Take it back in. Either exchange for the Sapphire it or get a refund and then we'll find you what you want from an on-line store.

hzhzhz 11:39 01 Jan 06

Hmmm, yes, that might not be easy. Try anyway. I once ordered a sapphire 9600 pro from advancetec but recieved a Mediamax 9600 pro. I decided that as they are basically the same card, I would hang on to it.Never had any probs. Thes diferent makes of the same card do have slight differences but I wouldn't be too concerned at this level. The main thing in my opinion is to make sure PCW realise their mistake. Im sure some of the more experienced forum members will give their advice also.

dagbladet 11:44 01 Jan 06

Thanks. The issue here is not a dig at PCW, but like I say, owing to my total lack of knowledge re: graphics cards, I don't know if i've been given a duffer, or in fact if PCW have done me a favour.

DieSse 12:18 01 Jan 06

Powercolour and Sapphire are both known brands. We can advise you more on how you fared, only if you let us know precise details of what you ordered and what you got.

SG Atlantis® 12:28 01 Jan 06

He provided 2 links DieSse.

My opinion is that the cards show not alot of difference as long as you paid the lower price, I reckon it's not worth the extra grief of having to travel up and waste time on this.

DieSse 12:40 01 Jan 06

Whoops - teach me to read the thread properly.

On the face of it there dosen't seem to be any significant difference. It's not possible to see if there are any bundled software (Games?) differences though.

The Powercolour one does say AGP 8x only - and the other 4x and 8x - but they could be wrong on the site - and it may not matter to you anyway.

Cybermaxx 12:42 01 Jan 06

Hmmm, both Radeon 9550, both 256MB, both use the all important 128 bit memory interface, probably the same standard 9550 core and memory speed........

I think you'll get nigh on identical performance from both cards.

Why can't you install it, anyway? Separate topic?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…