desktop vs laptop

bta1 18:52 08 Apr 08

it's time to get either a new desktop, or i am thinking of just having a lap top.
seeing how most lap tops are now pretty much on par with some pc's i was wondering if it was time to make the switch to permanent lap top.

at the moment i have both and use the lap top purely for outside the house or when i want to watch telly as i work.

the desktop is the thing that needs replacing most so that is what will be going, but i am not sure if i should get a new desktop or just go for the lap top.

i don't play games on my pc, i only use it for work and the internet. so, i don't need much. price isn't really a problem but if you spend a thousand pounds on a laptop, and a thousand pounds on a pc are you going to get the equivalent of each other? or is that ridiculous?

wee eddie 18:59 08 Apr 08

The specification of your £1000 laptop can be matched, quite easily, by a £500 Desktop.

Totally-braindead 19:45 08 Apr 08

To me the big differences between laptop and desktop are the desktop can be upgraded and repaired relatively easily by most people and the laptop can't. You really need to send it to a laptop repairer. And of course what you get with the laptop is basically what you have for the life of the machine.

Now having said that, if what you say is correct regarding the use then either will do the job but the desktop will be considerably cheaper as wee eddie says and the screen on the £500 desktop will be bigger than the £500 laptop. (We're talking same for same here, same speed of processor, same amount of memory, same hard drive size, etc etc.)

You can get a fairly decent laptop for £500 and an excellent one for £1000 but for £1000 for a desktop you could get a pretty fantastic system with a large screen and tons of memory.

Sorry I'm a bit biased its your choice. I like desktops.

If you do get a PC with Vista, laptop or desktop, make sure its a dual core processor and has a minimum of 2 gig of memory otherwise you will be dissapointed in the performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…