Desktop replacement ?

one23 18:09 10 Jul 04

11 months ago I purchased a Mesh sfx upgraded with an AMD 2800+ cpu at a total cost of £925,including delivery. At the time it was the PCA top of the pops .

Unfortunately due to retirement and space reasons I will be forced sell the Mesh in favour of a desktop replacement.

I am willing to spend circa £1000 . I will only be using it for 1) serious digital photography. 2) Internet. 3) word processing.4) No games.

Any suggestions would be welcome also is there a reasonable market for my existing PC and what sort of depreciation might I expect.

Diodorus Siculus 19:29 10 Jul 04

Have a look at Novatech.co.uk - quality machines and service and they will easily be under your price mark. click here

Diodorus Siculus 19:33 10 Jul 04

And if you have the option, go for a TFT monitor which will not take up too much room but will be helpful for photo work.

If you post the spec of the current machine, someone may be able to give a price. Loot have many on sale.

one23 20:13 10 Jul 04

The spec of my current machine is at click here on the front page as a Matrix 2600SFX but I had an upgrade to a 2800+. Would it be reasonable if I looked for about 40% of new cost.

one23 20:17 10 Jul 04

click here sorry this is the link

one23 20:40 10 Jul 04

Thanks for the link to Novatech. They look very high spec machines at reasonable cost.

Diodorus Siculus 21:06 10 Jul 04

Yes, I have a centrino from them and am very pleased with it. Good price, good spec and good quality.

Charence 21:45 10 Jul 04

click here and I think that Perfecta Ultra Pro 5100, Perfecta 5100 Pro + 256Mb RAM (total 512Mb) will be suitable for your needs. You may want to opt for the Suntek Acrylic case which has a FIREWIRE port as well for quicker data transfer of your images.

You'll need a TFT or LCD monitor to display your images clearly and to reduce eye strain. I think that 17" should be a suitable size for photography. click here

Charence

Diodorus Siculus 21:48 10 Jul 04

click here

for a machine on Loot.

click here and here for another.

961 15:19 11 Jul 04

Dell have some good prices in their current sale

one23 18:06 11 Jul 04

I have been having a good look around today at everyone's suggestions ,the choice is considerable.

I think before I commit to anything I will put an ad in our local "rag" to see what sort of response I get for my existing PC.

The other thought that crossed my mind today was about SP2. Would it be prudent to wait until PC manufacturers supply with it installed ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…