Desktop purchase advice

cgc3103 17:01 15 Sep 08

My Dell laptop is on it's last legs and I want to spend as little as possible to replace it. I currently do email, play Footy Manager, construct my family tree (with documents and photos), surf, watch youtube, go on internet forums and not much else as this is the limit to my current machine.

I would like to do all the above a bit quicker and without the buffering AND download and burn torrents, web-cam-chat with my brother is Aus and maybe do some photo editing.

I don't know my Athlon from my Celeron but have decided I don't need a laptop and I do need at least 1gb of RAM. Can anyone advise on the cheapest options to satisfy my requirements within a budget of 'as little as possible'? Would refurbished from PC World be a good idea?

Woolwell 17:23 15 Sep 08

If it is a Vista PC then go for at least 2 Gb of RAM.

Joe R 18:00 15 Sep 08

cgc3103, are you looking for a base unit only? or is it a full system?

cgc3103 22:34 15 Sep 08

Joe it's probably a full system I'm looking for.

jack 08:33 16 Sep 08

A full system.
The Screen/ Keyboard may be OK and which case you can up the spec of the base unit with the cash available.
Or if you are not fussed as you say about the technicalities so as it does what it is supposed to do - then you could take a look at recent but older spec machines that are being unloaded.

For the full featured base unit look at
click here

for a look at Old spec[but new] machines take a look at

click here

interzone55 13:18 16 Sep 08

I doubt the screen & keyboard from cgc3103's aged Dell laptop would be much good with a PC.

cgc3103
If you don't need a new PC, have a look at somewhere like Morgan Computers, they usually have a good stock of refurbished ex-lease units and end of line bargains.

click here

Or you could try the Dell outlet store

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…