Desktop PC for £500

chrisbenwalker 22:31 29 Mar 08

I am looking for a new PC £500 max. Not needed for gaming, but want something strong in processing power and memory. Quad core processor needed, not sure? Minimum 2GB Ram, 500GB HD, no monitor needed....
Aldi had a recent deal onclick here
Any thoughts on this (although guess sold out now) or any others?

Strawballs 22:41 29 Mar 08

click here You have to remember to add OS to these prices.

GaT7 02:25 30 Mar 08

Couple of Dell Inspiron 530 quad-core PCs to consider - remove the monitor for each to get it at these prices. Go through Quidco click here & get ~£15-19 cashback.

1. click here = £359 (£344 with cashback)

2. click here = £459 (£440 with cashback). For the extra money, this has 1Gb+140Gb extra RAM+hard drive space, & a better graphics card than the PC above.

I'd go for the 1st & add 2Gb RAM, bought separately from Buyer for £30 click here. Save the remaining £110 (excl cashback), or get whatever else you fancy.

Do not choose any of their overpriced upgrades/accessories. As with the eBuyer RAM upgrade, you'll probably get them much cheaper from elsewhere. G

The Kestrel 12:12 30 Mar 08

Can fully recommend Cougar Extreme click here. You can configure your PC to whatever you want and keep a check on the cost as you go. Price includes free delivery.

I have had a Cougar PC for almost a year and a friend has just taken delivery of one and we are both extremely pleased with the quality of the build and the service received from Cougar.

GaT7 13:01 30 Mar 08

Those C-E PCs are poor value compared to a Dell.
I configured a similar PC to the 1st Dell above & it was £80-85 dearer. It also came with their poor budget 400W PSU* & integrated graphics. Increasing the PSU & graphics to the next options added a further £50. Addmittedly the graphics upgrade was better than the Dell PC. G

* I don't know why they even consider using these, & especially in a high-end quad-core PC. In the past, I'd made a mention about this in one of the posts they were commenting on but they didn't reply.

Ancient Learner 15:27 30 Mar 08

The link to 1 shows a price of £469, and this includes 2GB of memory.
Similar to 2 we joined in buying at Xmas for the grandchildren, and with which we were delighted.

GaT7 16:40 30 Mar 08

"The link to 1 shows a price of £469" - remove monitor as stated. G

chrisbenwalker 22:11 30 Mar 08

makes inetersting reading and thanks for the replies to this subject. I'm not sure about getting one 'bult' as have had a bad experience with one I bought some time ago from a private company and had nothing but problems with it. Maybe I was just unlucky......

Dell looks a good bet, although have heard mixed stories about their c/service being poor if something goes wrong.

I was looking at this one although slightly over budget

click here

any more thoughts?

JumpingJack 20:15 02 Apr 08

I have a Dell machine (6 months old) - never given me many problems bar the need for a new PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…