desktop or laptop...any regrets, afterwards..

Magik ®© 18:04 01 Sep 04

hi, my desktop is getting on a bit, the laptop is about 2 years old, but making odd noises, the HDD spends it's life clicking away, anyway..to the point, about time i hear you cry, thinking of a all singing all dancing (until it is out of date by tomorrow)laptop, instead of a desktop, has anyone got a latop to replace their desktop, then regretted it....or is it a better bet, the laptop i have in mind, after checking all the roadtests, is a Rock Quaddra Ti..

thanks...

wilf3102 09:30 02 Sep 04

Hi there,

My laptop was feeling the effects of user abuse for too long now, with crashes being a common feature to my daily routine.

I wanted something a bit more robust, as I never really carried it around anyway.

So , i wanted a powerful Desktop replacment - a desktop based laptop with the power to match.

I read many reviews recently about people ranting and raving about the weight issues of these types of laptops and their low batery life - People dont seem to understand that they arent realy supposed to be truly portable - they are Desktop Replacements !!

I got the magnificent Acer Aspire 1714 SMi

Truly wonderful spec:
17 inch TFT screen
Pentium 4 - 3.4Ghz
1 Gig RAM
120 GB Hard Drive !!!!!!!!!
DVD Dual drive
nVidia 128 Graphics
Wireless LAN

The spec is excellent !! Its supposedly aimed at small business users, with a few desktop components such as the huge harddrive and ram, joined with the kick-ass Processor.

I love this machine, as ultimately it is smaller than a desktop system but has such a beter spec than a typical laptop, if you dont really intend of travelling with it.

A great space saver, with the spec to be proud of.

click here

wilf3102 09:31 02 Sep 04

Hi there,

My laptop was feeling the effects of user abuse for too long now, with crashes being a common feature to my daily routine.

I wanted something a bit more robust, as I never really carried it around anyway.

So , i wanted a powerful Desktop replacment - a desktop based laptop with the power to match.

I read many reviews recently about people ranting and raving about the weight issues of these types of laptops and their low batery life - People dont seem to understand that they arent realy supposed to be truly portable - they are Desktop Replacements !!

I got the magnificent Acer Aspire 1714 SMi

Truly wonderful spec:
17 inch TFT screen
Pentium 4 - 3.4Ghz
1 Gig RAM
120 GB Hard Drive !!!!!!!!!
DVD Dual drive
nVidia 128 Graphics
Wireless LAN

The spec is excellent !! Its supposedly aimed at small business users, with a few desktop components such as the huge harddrive and ram, joined with the kick-ass Processor.

I love this machine, as ultimately it is smaller than a desktop system but has such a beter spec than a typical laptop, if you dont really intend on travelling with it.

A great space saver, with the spec to be proud of.

click here

wee eddie 12:08 02 Sep 04

No regrets: It's neat, it's tidy and I do my printing at work so there has been no need for a stand-alone desk unit.

I have run it from the mains for 2 years, the battery still lasts over an hour of light spreadsheets and word-processing, but a DVD now runs the battery flat very quickly. I have no idea why I should want to run a DVD on the move (from the battery) but the other day i tried just to see.

Well one regret: I should have gone for the largest screen available and possibly more Ram.

Magik ®© 14:27 02 Sep 04

thanks all, we do seem to be drifting towards a Laptop, my wife's only problem, is the keyboard, prefers a normal one, I can not see any reason why i can not plug a usb one in for her.....

xania 16:43 02 Sep 04

The downside of laptop:

Its still more expensive than desktop
its far harder to upgrade
Most laptop lids have a tendancy to break after a few months of constantly opening and closing lids.
You have the key-board problem
You will struggle to get a decent sized screen without excessive expense.

And......you can now get some veerrrryyyy small desktop footprints click here

accord 16:56 02 Sep 04

beware of very noisy cooling fans.

Ive been lucky with my work provided IBM and my old personal Sony Vaio. A colleague of mine at a previous company had a laptop from AN Other and it was really noisy and got hot around the wrist rest aswell.

If you can, try and look and touch one before you buy.

Brian-336451 19:43 02 Sep 04

I am away most of the month and we replaced the desktop at home with a Centrino with a 15" screen, the keyboard is almost full size.

One regret on my wife's machine (above) we should have gone for a slightly better screen resolution.

The ability to pick it up and go downstairs and sit in the warm living room and wirelessly email and surf etc is super.

I have a very light Centrino which is communication centre, music centre, work tool fitted with two batteries giving me in the region of 9 (yes nine) hours power (obviously depends on how much the hard drive is hammering away).

So, regrets? Only that I waited as long as I did. We have most of a bedroom back too and both laptops are virtually silent.

As for difficulty to upgrade? Memory can be got round by specifying using only one slot when you buy (there is a slight premium). Once out of warranty upgrading the hard drive is not beyond a competent amateur.

I stripped the old desktop and put the hard drives and the DVD/RW in caddies using USB2 slots, use them when you want them then put them away and reduce clutter.

Price? Yes laptops are expensive compared with equally specced desktop. But a 2.5 litre engine in a sports car will cost more than a 2.5 litre engine in a van - they are different, they are pitched at different markets.

If you are looking at a desktop replacement that infers that you surmise there to be a deficiency in desktops (my complaint was the amount of room it took up and the constant noise of various cooling fans). I hear my laptop fan on boot and I hear the CD drive when it starts but then both are unobstrusive.

Hope that helps - but it's only MY opinion, the most important opinions are yours and your wife's.

Magik ®© 20:51 02 Sep 04

a very comprehensive reply, been thinking about it all day, and the decision has been made..give the desktop PC to my daughter and the grankids, and one laptop on it's way.........should be here my next thursday........

thanks all for the input....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…