Dell - We're not fooling! - or selling

mtwollet 14:08 04 Apr 06

Has anybody had any luck buying one of the cheap Dell notebooks advertised in the national newspapers?
A Dell inspiron 1300 notebook for £299 inc delivery + Vat.
Now I'm not naive and I understand that the salesman is going to try and bump up the price by adding extras.
But when you have gone through the options and stuck to your guns that the system as advertised is ideal for your needs the salesman Takes your number and says he will ring back in 5 mins and then is not heard from again.
Is this not sharp practice? - If Dell don't want to sell them at that price why advertise them.
As its a phone only offer they are more expensive online.
I've bought 5 pcs from Dell over the years and have been well pleased with all of them but now I'm cheesed off.

961 14:57 04 Apr 06

Have you tried taking the product number off the ads in the weekend press and ordering over the net?

961 14:58 04 Apr 06

Sorry, I see only a phone offer. Not quite sure what to do next. Supervisor?

961 15:01 04 Apr 06

See cheapest on the web is £349 inc del

terryf 15:06 04 Apr 06

Which newspaper is advert in?

mtwollet 15:30 04 Apr 06

Sunday Express but I Think it was in most sunday papers

Diemmess 15:42 04 Apr 06

Today's D.Telegraph page 10 for instance.

The advert is almost 1/2 page and dwells mostly on expected range of towers and two notebooks (@ £469 and £599).
All have a product code attached.

At the bottom in a shared small panel is an ad for a Dell Axim, then "Further enhancements" and very last, the laconic "Notebooks - Prices from £299 inc vat"
There is no other detail or a product code.

It could be a tempter like some sales where there is a real loss-leader but only one and the result is a sales opportunity for the ready salesman.

mtwollet 15:43 04 Apr 06

I've ordered online now - £50 more but I got a wireless card I don't need.

mtwollet 15:45 04 Apr 06

so it worked then!

ade.h 16:53 04 Apr 06

Beats me how anyone - even the Dell behemoth - can build a laptop for £300, no matter how big the economies of scale may be. So I can only think that each one is sold as a loss leader, which would explain why it's so hard to get these special offers.

SG Atlantis® 17:22 04 Apr 06

I think they'll still make a few quid on them, not much though. Even if it is a loss, it's a sale that hasn't went to their competitors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…