Dell US to UK?

Tolks 17:04 19 Oct 06

Hypothetically if i bought a computer from the dell US site and shipped it independantly to the UK. Apart from the power plug would it still work fine and be compatible with purchased addons etc?
The only other thing I can think of is the DVD drive region but these can normally be changed a limited no. of times.
Am i missing anything obvious/important?
Just wondering because the price difference is often vast (sometimes nearly upto half the uk equivilant price).

Bapou 17:51 19 Oct 06

You will more than likely have to pay a hefty import tax which will reduce the differential in US/UK price somewhat.

Will the 1 year standard, return to base warranty apply?

Just a couple of things to ponder, there may be more.

Totally-braindead 17:53 19 Oct 06

The keyboard you get would be US and therefore some of the keys would be wrong and no pound sign but thats easy changed, buy a UK keyboard and change the keyboard from US to UK.
The software and hardware are exactly the same but the power supply would probably have to be changed unless it will allow you to switch voltages from 110v to 240v and I don't think it will have a switch for that.
The problems you would have as far as I am concerned is if something went wrong with it I do not know if Dell UK would provide any sort of support, I suspect the answer to this would be no and, and this is the big one, if you buy a PC from overseas you are subject to tax and this is rather hefty. Exactly how much I don't know.

Forum Editor 18:05 19 Oct 06

that by the time you have paid the shipping cost, plus import duty, plus VAT, there wouldn't be that much difference. In addition - as Bapou points out - you would have a problem in the event of a warranty claim.

If there was a real advantage in doing this we would all be at it, and my advice is to forget the idea.

namtas 21:18 19 Oct 06

And if it was a desktop PC it would come configured at 110 volt, so you would need to change it

spuds 12:30 20 Oct 06

A couple of points that you may have missed out perhaps. Will Dell export to the UK, when they have a very good UK/European based company. Certain 'electronic' goods are prohibited by American law, as export goods, doe's a Dell computer and components come under this category.

If you live and work in the UK, then stick with Dell UK, you may find that it would be a far easier ride, in times of need. And as previously suggested, nothing like getting a surprise of high rates being added to an item, to cover UK tax laws. Plus the Consumer Credit Act or UK consumer law will not save you!.

philly73 15:42 20 Oct 06

i tried to do this but when it came to payment it redirected me to the uk site.that was atleast a year ago though

laurie53 08:45 21 Oct 06

Don't use Dell at all if you can avoid it. Their product support is non-existent

Laurie

namtas 09:10 21 Oct 06

laurie53. That is pretty strong advice, Is this statement based on some broad knowledge or is it simply your personal experience.

Belatucadrus 17:43 21 Oct 06

To add a balance, I've found Dell customer support excellent, they rapidly sorted a problem I had with my laptop and to be honest it was a problem of my own creation.

spuds 18:59 21 Oct 06

laurie53. Perhaps you would like to share your experiences. I have made a number of Dell UK purchases, and all have been to my and other peoples satisfaction. One consignment led to a faulty item, but Dell resolved the issue very swiftly, again to everyone's satisfaction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…