Dell Studio XPS - 8GB Tri-Channel RAM - Surely Not

CodeMeister 15:48 01 Feb 09

Hi

Dell are offering their Studio XPS Desktop PC with 8GB of Tri-Channel RAM.

It was my understanding that Tri-Channel RAM had to be installed in multiples of three.

Please see link below.

click here

Could anyone please confirm whther or not this is a mistake ?

On the US site, the 8GB option is advertised as Dual-Channel RAM, which makes more sense.

If it is wrong, then they are mis-selling.

GaT7 15:57 01 Feb 09

2x & 4x modules will work in tri-channel too - the slots need to be populated in a certain configuration though, see this click here. G

MAT ALAN 15:59 01 Feb 09

I would be more inclined to say that the error points to the 8 which i am sure should read as 6

=3 x 2gigs

Memory
2GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 DIMMs

Up to 12GB 1066 MHz Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM - 3 DIMMs
Six (6) use-accessible DIMM connectors, Installed in three for Tri-Channel memory performance

text taken from space...

CodeMeister 16:06 01 Feb 09

The two options offered are as follows

6144MB (6x1024) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri Channel [Included in Price]

8192MB (4x1024,2x2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri Channel [add £43.48 or £1/month-1]

CodeMeister 16:10 01 Feb 09

On the US Dell site, the *GB option is described as Dual-Channel, but on the UK / European site, the 8GB option is described as Tri-Channel

GaT7 16:20 01 Feb 09

See this thread in another forum click here

Someon has posted a CPU-Z screenshot of 8Gb running in tri-channel click here. G

CodeMeister 16:26 01 Feb 09

Ahh, well done crossbow7, thank you so much for that link and for MAT ALAN's contribution as well.

GaT7 16:30 01 Feb 09

"8192MB (4x1024,2x2048)" would make all 6 slots filled & therefore running in tri-channel.

I don't think CPU-Z is likely to get something like this wrong. Although, stranger things have happened ;-), G

GaT7 16:33 01 Feb 09

Sorry, my earlier statement: "2x & 4x modules will work in tri-channel too" is not entirely correct. 4x modules will, but not 2x (as seen in the link I posted). G

CodeMeister 16:42 01 Feb 09

Thanks Crossbow7.

I'd still be interested to know why the 8GB option on the US site is labelled as "Dual-Channel", whilst the 8GB option on the UK / European site is labelled as "Tri-Channel".

You'd think they'd all be the same.

GaT7 18:26 01 Feb 09

"You'd think they'd all be the same." - Yes, that's a strange one indeed, & it's not getting better....

For tri-channel to be obtained, it (click here) states that each module needs be the 'same capacity'. So one could have 2x2Gb modules populating 4 slots as shown & be OK.

However, the Dell UK system has two different capacity modules - 1Gb & 2Gb, & so would the Dell US one, as they're both describing them as '6 DIMMS'.

Btw, one of the DDR3 motherboard manuals (PDF click here, pg 16) I looked into had very similar info to the above link, & also added:
"When enabling 3 Channel mode with three, four or six modules, it is recommended [reading this as 'not compulsory'] that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used."

The info in the link also states:
"At a minimum, DIMM#2 in channels A, B, and C must be populated to activate tri-channel bandwidth."

So we've determined 8Gb filling 6 slots (or 4 correctly) will run in tri-channel, but the two Dell sites differ in this respect quite puzzlingly.

Dell should also think about using 4x2Gb modules to make 8Gb leaving 2 slots free, but it would probably drive costs up for this configuration? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…