Dell Studio 1737 Cracked top & Warranty

namasteall 17:42 11 Feb 10

I bought my son one of these last June - very pretty and red - direct from Dell. I was quite happy buying direct as i have done that several times over the past 10 years. Unfortunately it has developed a 3 cm crack near the hinge which makes it difficult to open and close. Dell tell me (after 30 minutes on the phone) that this is not covered by the standard warranty (which still has 4 months to run for what it is worth) but if i had bought the machine from a retailer it would be covered. They are quoting around £200 to get it fixed. Is this just good money after bad? Anyone else have this trouble?

MAJ 19:59 11 Feb 10

If you buy online from a UK or EU-based company you have the same rights as if you'd bought from a shop. Goods must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described when sold.

MAJ 20:08 11 Feb 10

I was going on to give you the link to that click here and my interpretation would be that the Sale of goods act would apply and the laptop would have to be "fit for purpose", clearly after nine months it isn't. click here

oresome 20:46 11 Feb 10

My understanding is that for the first 6 months, the onus is on the retailer to prove that the goods were not supplied with an inherent fault. In practise, the retailer is unlikely to argue and simply repair the product.

After 6 months, the onus is on the customer to show that the goods were supplied with an inherent fault.

That is not to say that the hinge was broken on receipt, but that the design or construction was such that the hinge was likely to fail within a reasonable time and with normal use.

Establishing that fact isn't straightforward if the retailer contests it.

The internet does make it easier to find other users that have suffered the same problem, which may strengthen your argument, but you have no way of knowing how many products were produced and what percentage of the total the faulty ones constitute.

An independant expert may be needed to give an opinion if you can find one with the qualifications to add credence to the opinion.

namasteall 09:31 13 Feb 10

MAJ & oresome

Thanks for your responses. Dell-guy told me that the warranty did not cover this type of problem because it was 'normal wear and tear'. As it is now over 6 months and given that life is short i thought it worth finding out how common this was. I hoped also to alert others buying a dell laptop to beware. I suspect that ringing Dell again, on an 0844 number at a cost of 10p per minute, will merely add to my frustration and Dell's profits.

eyre 20:15 24 Apr 10

Hi, namasteall,
I was very interested to read this thread as the Studio 1737 I purchased in November 2008 has recently developed a similar 3cm crack in the lid close to one of the hinges.

I've just approached Dell about this who asked for pictures so they can "quote" for repair. At this stage I haven't started arguing but I'm expecting to have to go down the "not fit for purpose" route as the warranty expired 5 months ago.

My understanding is, as Maj said, that goods have to be durable and fit for purpose which, it would seem, these Studio 1737's are not. If my understanding is correct a manufacturer's warranty or other T&C's are in addition to your statutory rights and cannot be used to reduce those rights.

One thing is for certain, there is no way I'll be paying £200 for a repair when I can put that towards buying a brand new laptop (from a different brand of course).

It's a couple of months since you posted here so I wonder if the situation had been resolved or you had had any further developments to share.

wee eddie 10:48 25 Apr 10

It may cost you £2.50 at most

Forum Editor 11:59 25 Apr 10

is not usually a result of 'normal wear and tear' at all. I have several laptops and they're all used heavily, I have never experienced a hinge-related case crack in my life.

I would certainly argue the 'not fit for purpose' scenario with a supplier if it happened after a few months use - probably not so vehemently after 18 months, though.

wee eddie 13:13 25 Apr 10

It is also an occasional result of a 'stress fracture' caused by a sharp jolt at an inappropriate point/angle.

I accidentally bashed mine against a table as I was getting it out of it's bag. The top had not been properly closed and I must have got it at just the wrong angle.

I put string around it, made a loop and twisted a pencil into it, after pouring 'Super Glue' into the crack I twisted the pencil until it closed.

24 hours later, all was right as rain as it still is after 4 more years of regular use. Sister's got it now.

961 15:29 25 Apr 10

Love the story....give her our best!

What would she do without a brother like you?

Many of these posts get to say how much it depends on if the owner is, can I say, hardware friendly?

I can just see Peter (China) (F.E) getting into a hotel bedroom after a hard day round a computer exhibition in L.A, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and opening up his laptop to see what's happening on the PC Advisor website

Does he yank it open?

Of course not. He does what all experienced laptop owners do. He opens it. Gently

Just like most of those on this forum

Hardware, cars, dishwashers, laptops need gentle love and they'll work forever. Treat them as slaves, they'll bite back!

namasteall 19:37 26 Apr 10

Hi Eyre - no joy and have given up on dell and dells - we lived with it for a while but I am currently waiting for a quote from a local computer store - below £50 i might pay but i certainly wasn't going to send it back to Dell. Hope the bad publicity helps others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…