Dell PC not quite what ordered

JE-KM 17:03 15 Sep 07

hi,

I have just received my new Dell PC.

I was just wondering what people thought about this - whether it is reasonable or not.

I ordered a 260gb hard drive.
I thought I will partition it, so there is 75GB for Windows and applications, and 185gb for saved data.

However they have shipped a PC which has 2 seperate harddrives (130gb each).

So they both add up to 260gb, but I ordered a 260gb, not 2 130s. Am I being unreasoable? are Dell allowed to do this? Is it in their small print? thanks.

They also gave me Vista 32bit even though my CPU is 64bit. Is this an issue?

Thanks James

Forum Editor 17:16 15 Sep 07

it wouldn't worry me.

The operating system is a different matter, however - which version did you order?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:20 15 Sep 07

Having the 2 HDs is a much better idea as you can use one as a backup.

spuds 17:29 15 Sep 07

Have you emailed Dell about your concerns, perhaps someone else as your specified computer, and they are questioning the same!.

PP321 17:53 15 Sep 07

I think its splitting hairs to be honest.

Much better to have 2 seperate drives.

Plus, you orderd 260gb , you got 260gb.

Stuartli 18:17 15 Sep 07

Never come across a 130GB hard drive - unless someone knows better...:-)

JE-KM 21:05 15 Sep 07

stuarti, - yep youre right. I ordered a 320 and got 2 160s! Sorry for the confusion!

Oh well I will give them a call but I guess I'll keep it. I would have been very annoyed if I had ordered the 500 and got 2 250s. I know its the same overall capacity, it just affects how I partition.

I ordered vista ultimate. I didn't know about there being 32 or 64 bit when I ordered. I just might have thought they would use 64bit for a 64bit CPU. I can't see why they would put a 32bit OS on a 64bit CPU?

ambra4 21:09 15 Sep 07

You say thank you, as 2-130GB drive is a much better deal than 1-260GB drive

“I will partition it, so there is 75GB for Windows and applications, and 185gb for saved data”

If at any time the 260GB drive fail you will also lose the data on the 185Gb partition on drive, as you will not be able to access it easily

Make main drive C and drive D as the back up drive if drive C fails all your data is still on D

Totally-braindead 21:48 15 Sep 07

You are better off with the 32 bit version of windows as theres problems with some hardware/software with the 64 bit.
I wouldn't have the 64 bit version of any OS as a gift, at the moment anyway. Ask in a year or twos time and it might be different but you got the better option.
As for the hard drives you can still partition them as you wish and having 2 drives as far as I am concerned is also an advantage as if one drive fails you always have the other one presuming you use it to backup using software like Acronis Drive Image. If it was one single drive and you had a backup on that you would lose it all.

100andthirty 13:53 16 Sep 07

If you're unhappy about the 130MB discs, complain. Perhaps they'll compensate you in £4 notes.

Totally-braindead clearly isn't!! I wouldn't have 64bit OS if you paid me unless I had a specific and critical application that needed it and I could dedicate the machine to it

100andthirty 13:53 16 Sep 07

If you're unhappy about the 130MB discs, complain. Perhaps they'll compensate you in £4 notes.

Totally-braindead clearly isn't!! I wouldn't have 64bit OS if you paid me unless I had a specific and critical application that needed it and I could dedicate the machine to it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5