DELL Hardward Support? Worth Buying?

bueller 13:06 28 Feb 07

I am buying a new DELL pc as I have had 2 DELLS so far and (fingers crossed) no problems

I am tempted to "opt out" of the hardware support as it saves £150 but for some reason I fell a bit wary of not buying it

Are these support options just a rip off or worth it??

Thanks

bueller 13:07 28 Feb 07

sorry for the typo (oops!)

robbiepaul79 13:24 28 Feb 07

Im not really sure what this support covers, my thinking is that any problems you have with new kit would be covered by warranty anyway so why would you need support for it, its a case of getting any faulty parts replaced.

Sounds a to me like you dont need it yet i suppose if its 1/2/3 years or more people may say what is another £150 for total piece of mind especially as you are spending £500+ on the new kit anyway.

You are covered by UK consumer law for any hardware faults.

Any other problems you run into - just come here for help.

I think the only difference may be that if it does develop a fault, you will have to send it to them to fix rather than an engineer coming to your house but I'm not 100% sure about that. Hopefully someone else will confirm or otherwise.

Also, it is advisable to buy it using your credit card as should you run into any problems, the bank has equal liability for sorting it out.

spuds 14:53 28 Feb 07

I think that you may find Hardware Support is provided in case there are hardware configuration problems, similar to software configuration problems. Hardware components would be covered under consumer law, if they proved faulty. Dell have a number of warranties 'for peace of mind', but some are not really necessary if you understand the basics of computer technology.

Personally I would save the £150.00, and ask for help and support from the PCA or similar forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…