//some 3rd party need geo

Dell and graphics cards

CodeMeister 11:36 15 Nov 03

I placed an order for a PC with Dell the other day and requested a Radeon 9800 128MB (non pro) graphics card as it's a reasonable card for someone who has no interest in gaming.

I was told by the salesman that I could not have this card as the manufacturer had discovered problems with it and taken it off the market and that I would have to have the more expensive Pro version.

Dell's website however is still offering the non pro version of this card.

Is anyone else aware of any problems with this card or have I been pursuaded to by a more expensive card under false pretences ?

carver 15:54 15 Nov 03

If they are stopping sales of this card they haven't told many shops and people I've spoke to haven't been told of a problem. Speak to dell again and tell them this is the card you want, if there is a problem they should upgrade the card for free.

CodeMeister 18:21 15 Nov 03

Thanks Carver

I feel like I've really been let down badly by Dell on this one. I must admit that I hadn't heard of any problems with the non pro version of the Radeon 9800 but gave the salesman the benefit of the doubt.

I think it's too late now because the deal has been done and the PC is due to be delivered within the next few days.

I would like to send it back on priciple but then it will cost me £60 delivery.

I'm not a happy Dell customer at the moment.

carver 21:26 15 Nov 03

The best thing to do is phone Dell before the delivery and ask why you can't have this card, I don't know how much extra you paid but it's a fair bit dearer for not a lot of performance increase. It could be some over enthusiastic salesman trying to sell an over the top M/C.

citadel 15:48 16 Nov 03

If you have no interest in gaming there is no need for such a powerful and expensive card. A 9200 would do.

CodeMeister 19:02 16 Nov 03

I have since noticed that Dell have removed this card from their website so maybe there are problems with them.

wags 19:48 16 Nov 03

As citadel has advised, as you confess you have no interest in gaming, a 9800 seems OTT. A 9200 or 9600 would be ample.

CodeMeister 20:15 16 Nov 03

The choice was either a 128MB nVidia GeForce FX5200 as standard which I understand have a very noisy fan or a 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Graphics Card which is normally £120 + VAT but I was offered it for £50 + VAT so I don't suppose that it was too bad a deal.

I was just interested to learn if anyone else knew about the problems associated with the non-pro version of the ATI Radeon 9800 graphics card.

simonp1 07:59 17 Nov 03

well i go on a lot of sites which talk about graphics cards for games, not once have i heard about a problem with this card, it is still being supplied by many manufactures and suppliers. The only thing i cant hink of is, maybe they had a bad batch of cards or they no longer wish to stock them.

CodeMeister 21:09 17 Nov 03

Or maybe the card was not compatible with Dell's proprietary motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…