Dell Dimension 2350 Heatsink housing issue

Mezzo 22:06 23 Jun 05

Anyone else had problems with this snapping, so that the fasteners which hold the heatsink in place cannot be fastened securely?

According to Dell customer service, this is a common problem in the 2350, and its going to cost me gbp 70 plus postage to get it fixed. Not sure how this can be justified, when its just a piece of plastic with 4 screws that fixes onto the motherboard around the cpu. Piece of p*** surely?

There must be a simpler, cheaper solution.... I dont suppose anyone has one do they?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mezzo.

p.s. anyone know what a heatsink 'shroud' is? Is it the same thing Ive just banged on about or something else like the big green plastic monstrosity guiding the heat from the cpu via the heatsink to the fan?! Cheers.

Forum Editor 07:25 24 Jun 05

is indeed "the big green plastic monstrosity guiding the heat from the cpu........."

If Dell have told you that the faulty heatsink is a common problem I should ask them what they propose to do about it, rather than forking out £70 for a new piece of plastic.

Mezzo 21:40 22 Aug 05

Part I was after I believe is called the heatsink 'hub'. To cut a long story short, I found the part, including the heatsink and brackets, on ebay in the States for USD 7. I took the first class US mail option too and paid around USD 24 (GBP 14) in total.

Works a treat, and I saved myself about GBP 100. Needless to say, it may break the same way the other did sometime in the future, but I'll cross that bridge....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…