Dell deal - help?

sjl17 13:53 26 Nov 04

Can anyone tell me whether this is a good deal?
£660 inc VAT and delivery?
Cheers!

Dimension 4700 P4 processor 530 with HT technology (3.00GHz, 800fsb, 1MB cache)
Free Upgrade to 17"Value Flat Panel Monitor from 15" FP
512MB DDR400 Dual Channel Memory (2x256)
3.5" Floppy Drive
160GB SATA (7200rpm) Hard Drive
16x max. DVD +/- RW with dual layer write capability
DVD 5.1 Power Software
Sonic Software for DVD/RW+R
FP/MG - UK/Irish - 17in (E173FP TCO99) Value Midnight Grey Flat Panel
128MB ATI Radeon¿ X300 SE
Sound blaster Live 24 Bit
UK/Ireland -Dell A215 Stereo Speakers
V.92 Data Fax Modem UK
Dell MG USB 2 Button Wheel Optical (NOT Cordless) Mouse
UK/Irish (QWERTY) - Dell Entry Midnight Grey Keyboard
English - Win XP SP2 Home
English - Microsoft Works 7.0
1Y CAR (Collect and Return)

GrannyFi 14:49 26 Nov 04

My advice is look elsewhere and don't touch DELL. See my message of today's date.

I found a deal locally to match Dell's 'Deal' and my local shop is only 400 yards away, very competatively priced and on hand if I have a problem.

GrannyFi

961 17:59 26 Nov 04

You'll see from the first post here that things can go wrong at Dell.

In a current satisfaction review "would you buy this brand again?" Dell achieved 93%, Evesham and Mesh 89%

It is undeniable that some people will be unhappy with the results of their order for a mail order computer. Often when it goes pear shaped it will be a pain to sort out. Sometimes it's better to cancel and start again, particularly if something like the above example happens. ALWAYS use a credit card even if it is only to pay a deposit which should be for no less than £100. Then you are protected. If you take interest free finance try to pay a deposit by credit card.

Dell produce machines of good value at the moment. To advise on the machine you describe we really need to know what you are planning to use the machine for. Games? Video processing? Writing a few letters? Surfing the net?

Then we can give an informed opinion. But, generally, if you buy the current Dell offer, particularly at the dort of figure you mention, you'll find it hard to beat

sarg3 19:52 26 Nov 04

i wouldnt buy any other computer,, dell for me has been great

merc. 20:28 26 Nov 04

I bought a Dell Insprion laptop from Dell in August was delivered in 3 days after being told it would take 14 days to get built and delivered, very pleased with it.

but the twice I had to contact there service centre it was from India and completly hopeless you get a survey after to fill in which i scored very poor the someone from Ireland phoned and got problem sorted out.

Merc

fitcher 21:23 26 Nov 04

all prices cuts knocked off for christmas rush, they ask for email to send offers ..could be a means of testing site interest in products, to see how to judge the production line output prior to christmas . will wait till January to buy laptop.. cheers alan

Billp64 09:44 27 Nov 04

I have bought two Dell machines delivered as promised and very good value. I found specs cheaper to buy ready built than build myself as I have done in the past. I think problems can arise with any company in the end its how they sort it that counts.

Bob Bob™ 19:44 02 Dec 04

Dells are very good. But if you are goin to put new hardware into it AVOID SP2 AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or everything will go wrong. Trust me. My XPS came with SP2 but the second I put a wireless card in it crashed. I got it goin again 1 month later.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:52 02 Dec 04

I'm afraid GrannyFi is seriously mislead. Dell supply many businesses and they are good, if a tad expensive pieces of kit. If you want a machine that will do most home computing you will not go wrong...however for the same price you could get similar from PCW and take it home with you. Personally I would not touch the small, local 'computer builders'.

G

merc. 20:19 02 Dec 04

Bob Bob™

My Dell came without sp2 installed, downloaded it (broadband) and all seems to OK so far have put on a few new things and all seems fine so far, keep fingers crossed.

Merc

Bob Bob™ 20:25 02 Dec 04

Good. Programs are ok but its hardware Microsoft messed up on. If problems do start run system restore to before you installed SP2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…