Dell Customer Service (Or Lack Of)

Chris-347369 12:27 19 Jun 06

On Saturday morning I ordered a laptop from Dell.

My credit card company are fairly hot on fraud so I phoned them beforehand to inform them that I was going to make a transaction for about £400 with Dell. They said fine and put a note on the account. The order was made.

Later that evening I get a phone call from someone in a foreign call centre who says, "I am from Dell" and then proceeds to start firing questions at me regarding my credit card and personal details.

Obviously any half intelligent person would think twice about giving out personal details over the telephone to someone claiming to be from a company. They could have been anyone! I informed her that I didn't think it was safe to be giving out my personal details over the telephone when the woman on the other end had not proven she was from Dell. She ignored this and continued asking questions. The answer was obviously not on the script she was reading from. So I refused to answer questions and said I would phone Customer Services in the morning to sort out any issues. That way I could be sure I was talking to Dell.

This morning I phone Dell to find out that they had cancelled the order and had neglected to tell me this. They said the card transaction had been declined. I made another phone call to my credit card company who say, "No, we authorised the transaction. Dell cancelled it."

One of these companies is either lying to me, or has no idea what it is doing. And I think I know which one it is.....

By the way, I had an email from said woman in foreign call centre. I've seen better put together phishing emails!

spuds 12:56 19 Jun 06

The managing director of Dell would like to hear of these 'incidents'. I do not have his details at present, but Dell should provide this if requested.

Recently, a journalist was having a number of call centre and general communication plus service problems with Dell. Eventually, the matter was raised with Dell at the higher level, and a very quick response was forthcoming, in resolving the issues.At the same time the managing director stated that anyone with comments about bad services, were to contact him, if no satisfaction could be obtained elsewhere.

ade.h 14:36 19 Jun 06

This is far from being the first instance of a cancelled order from Dell. Technically, it has a legal right to do so up to a certain point in time, but the manner in which it is done and the reasons (or lack of) for doing it do not suggest that Dell cares much for its customers.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:11 19 Jun 06

'My credit card company are fairly hot on fraud'...and it would appear Dell are as well. We would all be first to scream if our credit card was mistakenly debited.

'proceeds to start firing questions at me regarding my credit card and personal details'..this is reasonable if Dell feel that there might be a problem or need some facts clarifying.

'By the way, I had an email from said woman in foreign call centre. I've seen better put together phishing emails'....would you like to write an email in Punjabi and we can compare grammatical errors with your email. The person's first language may not be English, give them a break.

'One of these companies is either lying to me, or has no idea what it is doing. And I think I know which one it is.'.... how do you know that your CC company is telling the correct facts and why would a company that needs your money lie?

For a company to turn down an order usually means that there COULD be a problem somewhere. Dell only have limited access to your details and if they think that something is not right, they have the right to decline your order. As all companies run on sales there is usually a reason why an order is declined.

'Obviously any half intelligent person would think twice about giving out personal details over the telephone to someone claiming to be from a company.'...I don't see a problem with giving out your address and postcode and phone number to corroborate your credit card details.

'the woman on the other end had not proven she was from Dell'...you had just placed an order with Dell so the chances are fairly high that she was from Dell.

G

medicine hat 15:21 19 Jun 06

If you had just made an order and then someone from that company phones you up, the best way for them to start such a conversation is "Hi, I'm calling from [Dell] regarding your order, reference [xyz]" - presumably such a reference is given during the order. If they don't give that reference then I think it is fair to not speak to them

Totally-braindead 15:49 19 Jun 06

It really depends on what they asked you during this phone call I have to say, if they wished to confirm name/address and whether you had placed an order then thats fair enough. You had placed an order with Dell so its not unreasonable to expect them to phone to confirm. If you were concerned in any way about the details asked for then I would have thought it reasonable to offer to confirm the details by email to the email address located on the Dell website.

I would like to point out that they said the transaction had been declined, this could mean various things. Including that after the phone call to confirm the computer was a proper purchase and your refusal to give information over the phone, which I do understand to a degree, the Dell finance section or whatever it is called declined the transaction as they had concerns it wasn't genuine.

If I'm right then no one has lied at all. You have been told by Dell the transaction was declined and assumed it was declined by the credit card company whereas it was declined by the Dell finance section.

I have no idea if this is right of course I'm only giving you a possible explanation of what MIGHT have happened.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:18 19 Jun 06

Just to repeat...no company wants to turn down an order unless they are barking tree-huggers, so there may be certain circumstances that forced Dell to do this.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…