Dell Computer - Intel i5 or i7

ToadWales 16:24 18 Jan 10

Hiya!

This is my first post on the PC Advisor forums and I wondering if you guys can give me some advice on a new computer I'm purchasing.

I'm purchasing a Dell XPS 8100 from their website. The only dilemna I have is regarding the processor, do I go for the Intel i5 processor or the Intel i7 processor?

Here are the specs of the 2 different processors:
Intel Core i5 Processor 650 (3.20GHz, 4MB)
Intel Core i7 Processor 860 (2.80GHz, 8MB)

The only reason I ask is that I can see the Ghz speed is faster on the cheaper model. Should I opt for the cheaper i5 or the more expensive i7?

I do quite a bit of word processing and love playing the Sims 3 so playing that game would be a consideration in buying my new computer.

I hope someone can give me some advice on which of the two to opt for?

Thanks very much!

GaT7 17:01 18 Jan 10

Hi ToadWales & welcome to the forums.

All those XPS 8100 PCs (click here) will be far greater than your needs.

Consider going for a lower & cheaper spec & add a graphics card separately. These are also a bit overkill for your usage, but will save you a bundle.

click here

click here

click here

A GT 240 graphics card should do nicely click here. Or even a HD4670 click here.

If you need a monitor, these can be purchased separately, as Dell's upgrades tend to be overpriced. G

ToadWales 17:07 18 Jan 10

Hi Crossbow 7,

Many thanks for your message. I failed to mention in my original message that I help to run a photographic history website and therefore my computer handles 1000s of photographs quite regularly and I run some complex graphic programmes also.

Sorry I didn't originally include this, in light of what I've just said could you recommend which is best the i5 or i7?

The i7 860 is better than the i5 650, despite its lower clock speed.

Here are some benchmark results to look at: click here (Pages 11-15)

GaT7 18:16 18 Jan 10

"....and I run some complex graphic programmes also."

What are these exactly please? G

AL47 20:13 18 Jan 10

^
what you ask isnt too much of a task for even intels dual cores .. except what crossbow has pointed out

Why wont it work 23:10 18 Jan 10

In answer to your original question: the i5 650 is cheaper because it's dual core, whereas the i7 860 is quad core.

The 650 would probably be enough for what you want. Even older Core 2 Duos would do the job well, so an i5 would be even better (and of course the i7 would be better still!).

Input Overload 16:06 20 Jan 10

I have had issues with my 64 Bit Win 7 laptop I got a couple of weeks ago regarding drivers. I don't understand why the option is not there for a 32 bit version of 7.

GaT7 15:14 21 Jan 10

Here's a Dell Vostro click here with an i7 860 & 32-bit Windows at a reasonable price.

Use voucher code M1?3S7XDD0??T6 (expires 23/01/10) at checkout to get it for £470 delivered. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos