Dell - changing components?

Diodorus Siculus 20:32 06 Sep 04

Having seen a Dell PC for £299 including VAT and delivery, (posted yesterday by someone...) I am tempted to buy it for a friend... only one question: does anyone know if I could replace the CD rom with a DVD / CD-RW combo? My fear is that it may use components which cannot be removed / replaced by third party components.

Thanks for any advice.

hugh-265156 20:54 06 Sep 04

im not sure sorry but have a check of the video called 'Power Supply Meltdown:Dell's Proprietary Connectors' half way down click here this is quite old so not sure if it still stands sorry.

Diodorus Siculus 21:05 06 Sep 04

huggyg71 - thanks for that one; I actually posted that link once myself as advice to someone here who wanted a new PSU for their Dell.

I am wondering about something simple like a CDRW - just how proprietary can it be?

hugh-265156 23:49 06 Sep 04

have you a spare psu or anything that uses a molex lying around that you can use to maybe check the wiring against that of the dell? might help

Simon_P 23:50 06 Sep 04

Watched the video

I think that is outrageous

ATX form factor was introduced to stop this sort of thing from happening

On another note and I'm not suggesting that Dell do this, but I was doing some work on a friends PC built by a major system builder that the HDD had failed on, to find that the IDE ribbon was glued into the drive and mobo connectors. End result new mobo and drive needed, so be careful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…