ronroam 20:35 27 Sep 05

I've had a Dimension 4100 for 5 years with no problems but now want to buy a new desktop in the £900 range.
I would consider Dell from past experience but cannot find any computer mags including PCA that recommend Dell anymore.
Is Dell so far behind the rest that they do not even warrant a review these days? And is Mesh really the best buy in this price range?
Any constructive guidance appreciated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:43 27 Sep 05

I've just taken delivery today of another Dell Inspiron 6000 and that will be about 13 to date with one more to come. I would not buy any other laptop and their towers are pretty good as well. Superbly built and reliable.

Procrastinus 20:48 27 Sep 05

Just received a new Dell 5100 4 days after ordering. Delighted. Perhaps not the snazziest with ultra gizmos but a great worker. Keep off the glitter and go for quality!

ronroam 20:54 27 Sep 05

Thanks for the encouragement Gandalf. I still cannot understand why the mags do not rate -or even review - Dell at all.
I have an IBM T40 laptop and IBM Desktop provided by my employers and have had numerous problems with them in the past year compared with 0 on the Dell desktop which is 5 years old.

Jackcoms 21:00 27 Sep 05

"Is Dell so far behind the rest that they do not even warrant a review these days?"

No, Dell are so far AHEAD of the rest that a review would be meaningless.

Kate B 21:14 27 Sep 05

I don't know for sure but I imagine it's because Dell doesn't lend machines for reviews. No machine, no review!

ronroam 21:35 27 Sep 05

With such good comments about Dell coming in I think Kate B you must be right. Perhaps the mags should make a declaration about this because absence from the reviews doesn't mean Dell are not still ahead of the rest....

shizzy 21:37 27 Sep 05

I think FE said same as Kate B in a thread once.

bremner 21:39 27 Sep 05

Dell are not 'ahead of the rest'. They make excellent machines as do many others.

They focus their sales on a particular section of the market and have an excellent brand name.

Anthony Cook 00:00 28 Sep 05

So would you recomend a Dell laptop over a Toshiba.I'm intertested as I want to buy a decent laptop for my daughter for college and as such she needs it to be reliable!

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:46 28 Sep 05

I used to buy laptops (mainly toshiba) from PCW and they were fine but after buying many wide screen Inspiron 6000's I would not touch any other. They are around £548 with free delivery and 512Mb memory at the moment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…