Dell - any comments on value?

Diodorus Siculus 17:47 19 Dec 04

A friend is looking for a good value laptop for uni - mostly internet and office applications, but also occasional DVDs.

Can anyone comment on any of these for value and suitability please?

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Further, what does this mean?

[quote]Operating System: English - Win XP SP2 Home (No Media) [/quote]

The No media bit, I mean? Does the machine come with a recovery partition?

Finally, is there anything obviously missing? It seems to me to be very good value.

Stuartli 17:56 19 Dec 04

Dell has always been renowned for supplying right up to date systems using very high quality components - much of the reason for its quality standards was/is due to its massive buying power.

However, it could be that its laptops are actually rebadged models to its own specifications from companies such as Acer; however, I've no definite knowledge in Dell's case, although most laptops sold are rebadged by the big brand names.

Vague Boy 18:06 19 Dec 04

Look at the prices for adding extra memory, bigger hard drives, upgrading optical drives etc.

A bit steep I'd say!

Diodorus Siculus 18:14 19 Dec 04

Stuartli - I will have to find that out; I presumed that they were all Dell machines.

Vague Boy - upgrading will not be a problem for me - if they come with 40GB hdd and 512mb RAM, that will be more than enough.

Any comments on "no media"? does it come with a recovery method of some sort?

Diodorus Siculus 18:15 19 Dec 04

The links seem to have expired :-(

961 19:23 19 Dec 04

No media means you won't get the disk

However I seem to remember that most Dell recovery disks do actually include the operating system Perhaps someone who has just bought a laptop from them can advise, or FE may know

So far as value is concerned I think you will be hard pressed to better Dell for pricing except perhaps in the January sales. The downside has always been the difficulty of upgrading Dell machines, but with a laptop I suppose this is less important

Diodorus Siculus 19:35 19 Dec 04

961 - thanks for the clarification; upgrading will unlikely be a problem.

They do seem to have some very good deals in their outlet.

bremner 19:53 19 Dec 04

Dell - Value for money? I am doubtful

Check for yourself.

click here

click here

wjrt 21:28 19 Dec 04

click here
for comparison

Diodorus Siculus 08:01 20 Dec 04

bremner - it is the machines in the outlet which I am looking at; that is my point of reference.

wjrt - I myself have a novatech machine and am very happy with it.

Stuartli 10:57 20 Dec 04

Does the "no media" refer to software rather than the operating system?

I notice, for instance, with the 1150, there's a charge of £129 for Microsoft® Office 2003 Basic:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…