Dell 9150 or Dell 5150 ?? Buying my first PC

Iain's 13:13 12 Jan 06

I'm thinking of buying a Dell PC. This will be my first PC. The 2 models are similar and can even be given the save spec. So which would you advise to buy and why.
£900 budget.
P4 E processor but which spec
1G ram : 250Gb Hard Drive : XP edia Edition :
19" screen but analogue or high definition, is it worth paying more for the HD monitor ?
I'm not going to use the PC for gaming but will want to video edit and photo edit and down load films/music.
Does one model give an advantage over the other say when upgrading any kit. And do I spend more on the Processor (higher spec P4) or more on the Memory ? As for the Graphics card will 128Mb be OK as I'm not gaming or will I regret this later and should buy a 256Mb card.
Also as standard neither model comes with a sound card but has free speekers.Is there a sound card integrated in one of the boards anyway,so Dell are trying to sell an extra sound card I dont need?

Forum Editor 13:48 12 Jan 06

and I'll move it now.

Totally-braindead 14:12 12 Jan 06

They will both have integrated sound so thats not a problem. I'll see if I can find them both and post links for them.

Totally-braindead 14:15 12 Jan 06

Dell 9150 click here
and Dell 5150 click here

Iain's 14:25 12 Jan 06

Totally-braindead
thanks for info on the sound card.
Would you recommend one model over the other and what spec of P4processor would you advise for my usage ?

Totally-braindead 14:33 12 Jan 06

I can't decide between the two you're looking at mainly because of all the options. For what you've said you want to do you could spend a lot less than the £900 you're talking about.
In general more memory the better but once you're above 1 gig the difference is much smaller. 128mb will be ok for the graphics but if you were into gaming then 256 may be an option.
What I would want is this:
Graphics PCI Express graphics card, reasonable one, reviews click here
Hard drives must be SATA size at least 160 gig.
Monitor TFT rather than CRT but must have a reasonable response time 8ms or lower to stop blurring.
DVD writer installed, perhaps a DVD ROM as well but not essential.
Anything else optional.

Just been having a closer look at the various specs and now you've got me wondering about the sound, it mentions options but no where that I can see does it say that if you don't pay extra you get onboard sound. I think it would be worth emailing or phoning them to clarify this.
What I have said above about them both having integrated sound may be total rubbish, but would they sell a PC with speakers but no sound? That wouldn't make sense would it? I can see why it confuses you as its got me scratching my head.

rmcqua 14:35 12 Jan 06

It's difficult to find a decent motherboard these days that does not have onboard sound. I wouldn't worry about that.

Totally-braindead 14:37 12 Jan 06

Sorry took me a while to type and to read the Dell specs. Can't advise on the processor as I use AMD processors myself and haven't a clue about Intel though someone else will be able to help with that.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:36 12 Jan 06

If you are not using the computer for serious gaming then there is no need to worry about cards, sound etc. I use on board sound on my computer and it is excellent. Go for the cheapest or whatever you prfer. You will find that there is no difference between AMD and Inte4l in your machine (or probably in any other machine).

G

Iain's 18:11 12 Jan 06

Thanks for all your help, GANDALF <|:-)>,Totally-braindead, rmcqua.

sorry to ask more questions but here goes:
Do I need a TFT monitor with 8ms response time or less if I'm not using the monitor for gaming or do I need this 8ms or less to watch films on the monitor with a clear picture as my TV. Then
with the anologue screen be good enough or will I need to go for a High Definiton screen ? Also If I want to record TV direct fome the PC I know I need a TV in conection but what elso do I need ie Video card with DVI etc ???

Totally-braindead 19:11 12 Jan 06

You do need a fairly fast response rate for films as well as games. If you get a really slow one when theres action on the screen, ie movement in a film, it will tend to blur a bit. The picture tends to be clearer than your TV due to the way monitors work, try sitting about a foot away from your TV and you'll soon see what I mean. The bit about the TV is confusing, you mention 2 different things I think. If you want to watch TV on your PC then you need a TV tuner card, some are internal but some are now external. all you need to do is plug it in to a USB socket. Once the software is setup you can record onto the hard drive. If you just want to use the TV as a monitor, ie connect the PC to the TV all you need is a TV out socket on the graphics card and the lead. I have actually tried this and found the picture to be fairly pathetic so no longer bother.
The USB TV tuner thing I mentioned is something like this click here you can get internal ones if you prefer and some come with remotes, you're as well getting a digital one so you can get freeview theres no real difference in price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac