Delivery Surcharges

FEEBS 14:18 04 Mar 04

I have a small axe to grind regarding the delivery charges forced on certain geographical area of the UK by many companies, 2 of which advertise in PCAdvisor.
I wanted to buy a security lock for my laptop and went to the websites of first Dabs then Komplett ( in PCAdvisor). Both had them in stock, Dabs at approx £23 and Komplett at approx £17. Getting to the checkout the delivery for Dabs had increased from £1.50 to £6.50 once my post code was entered (all + vat). Komplett came up with a charge of £10 (+vat). This surcharge is because I live North of Edinburgh. If these companies ( and others) sent items by Parcel Force instead of their favourite courier there would have been no surcharge. It's worthy of note that if I send something a similar distance southwards there is no surcharge even by courier. This is discrimination against those who live north of Edinburgh ( or is it jealousy!) I can appreciate that sending offshore is more expensive but not mainland Britain. I sent both these companies many e-mails asking them to justify the surcharges but they were either too embarrassed or could not be bothered to reply. Neddless to say I will look elsewhere for this item and any others that I may wish to buy. Has anyone had similar problems and have found a way round it?

Sir Radfordin 15:39 04 Mar 04

There have been at least two debates on the subject in different threads in recent weeks on this site.

You may like to have a look here: click here

and also here:

click here

Where the FE posted:

"I understand that it currently costs the Post Office £7 to deliver each first class letter to Orkney"

So on the assumption that it is true, Royal Mail only don't add a surcharge to you because they do it to all of us so you don't have to pay extra. If they ever got their way and could charge different prices for different distances the story would change.

FEEBS 17:04 04 Mar 04

Thanks for that info - I read it with interest. One of my gripes however was the fact that they didn't have the manners to respond.

oresome 18:43 04 Mar 04

Why can't you appreciate that it costs more to deliver to distant and less populated areas, whether on the mainland or not? I suspect you pay more for your groceries and other living expenses for the same reasons.

Sir Radfordin 18:52 04 Mar 04

I'll agree with you on that point, there does not seem to be the 'fredom of information' on sites about the P&P to various parts of the UK.

FEEBS 08:31 05 Mar 04

I agree to some extent-our cost of living is higher but it's not until you move here that you find you are being ripped off by couriers. Parcel Force don't do it!

oresome 18:23 05 Mar 04

FEEBS
Which brings us back to Sir Radfordin's point. Should the masses subsidise the few? I'd have said yes at one time, but as the less populated areas are increasingly becoming the domain of the rich it's hard to see why the rest of us who live like sardines should provide a subsidy.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:55 05 Mar 04

'the less populated areas are increasingly becoming the domain of the rich'...Chad?

G

fitcher 19:44 05 Mar 04

I have paid extra for following day delivery, so far five days passed ..do I have any redress ,,That is if I could even complain, as there is no e mail or phone contact no on the well known sellers site ,and this is not the only net seller to do like wise ,,

byfordr 17:47 06 Mar 04

Definately worth a try. Managed to get postage refunded from Amazon for supposed next day delivery. Just dropped them a mail, within 24 hours they had mailed back and refunded the money

R

Kinder Scout 22:03 06 Mar 04

Perhaps the stories of Rob Roy MacGregor & other wild kilt lifting clansmen have scared the private company's away. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…