Delivery of Goods

Flaco 11:25 02 May 05

Does anyone know who is ultimately responsible for reclaiming lost goods if a Royal Mail Recorded/Special Delivery package goes missing? Is it the Sender or the Recipient?

Pooke100 11:35 02 May 05

The sender is the one that has proof it was sent.

Recorded and Special delivery have different terms of cover. Recorded is only tracked when it is recieved and "signed for". To confirm delivery go to click here.

Where as special delivery is guaranteed next day (or your money back) and is tracked at every stage as it goes through Royal Mail's network. If it's special delivery you can phone the customer number on the back of the silver coloured reciept and they should be able to tell you exactly where it is!

961 11:36 02 May 05

The sender, I believe

Royal mail will always tell you their contract is with the sender and the recipient can't claim, even though, in most cases, they will have paid the sender for the cost of the delivery

Flaco 12:11 02 May 05

Thanks folks. That confirms my understanding of how it is as concerns 'responsibility'; it's just a shame that 'ownership' seems to me more of an optional thing in these cases.

I ordered a CPU some months ago and it has since disappeared into the Royal Mail's equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle. Nought but dead ends on trying to track the consignment.

I'm really not happy with the suppliers response thus far but will refrain from naming them until I have given them a chance to redeem themselves following stiffer questioning on my part. ;)

Forum Editor 12:17 02 May 05

it is sent at the supplier's risk as far as you are concerned - that is the supplier is responsible for the goods up to the point of delivery, even if a courier or a third party (like the Post Office) is involved. It's up to your supplier to find out what happened, and to make any claim against the Post Office; you don't have to do anything in that respect.

Your position is clear - you haven't received the goods that you ordered, and under current consumer law (and several months wait) you are entitled to escape the contract.

Tell the supplier that you either want an immediate replacement delivery, or am immediate full refund.

Flaco 13:01 02 May 05

Thanks again. I should have been more specific and mentioned that Royal Mail did try to deliver, but as no one was home and a signature was required, a card was left for personal collection from the local Delivery Office instead. I tried to collect it myself 5 days later (within the 1 week period they keep it available) but it was nowhere to be found and efforts on my part to trace it have proved fruitless.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Supplier might view it as my responsibility in light of this, but I still don't feel that is the case. Anyway, surely it would have been easier (and more productive) for them to initiate a trace rather than ask me to do it myself. Quite miffed about that. So far they have confirmed that the item should eventually be returned to them and they would then offer me a refund or re-despatch. Since then (8th March), I have received no news or response to my last two emails.

I know that component suppliers operate on very tight margins, so I've tried to be reasonable about it and give them time to sort it out with minimal costs. It starts rattling my cage, though, when I get no response to diplomatically spaced emails.

Pooke100 13:10 02 May 05

was it special deliver or just recorded?

I can tell you that they are handled very differently and the recorded which has a red "signed for" logo could very easily be miss placed within Royal Mail!!

The special delivery which the postman has to sign a docket before he can leave the office with it, is not that likely to be lost and would have been efficiently returnded to the supplier.

Total Care Support 13:40 02 May 05

Hi Guys

Its Bank holiday and I am in work so I thought I would use resources to look into this thread a bit more.

this is from the Royal Mails own website ( see click here )

"New research by the company estimates that around 500,000 letters a week -... -could be lost or substantially delayed, with mail that is delivered to the wrong house by mistake as the most significant cause. "

it then goes on to say about these 1/5 million letters a week ... "Badly addressed letters that postmen and women can’t decipher are sent to the National Return Letter Centre in Belfast, along with other mail that cannot be delivered and that has no return address on the outside. The centre handles around 72 million letters a year, successfully returning around a quarter of them. "

makes you wonder why Belfast I would have thought somewhere on the mainland would be cheaper rather than paying for ferries etc. Also a 1/4 of 72 million means that they are only managing to return 18 million meaning that approx 54 million letters a year are not able to be delievered and sat in some warehouse in Belfast, I assume that they are sat or do they burn/shred them?

Now I am not one to claim that my maths is the best in the world but if they are saying "estimates that around 500,000 letters a week" could be lost or delayed this times 52 weeks would only equal 26 million so where has the other 46 million letters come from? and the stuff in belfast is letters etc that they have not lost so is it that this 26 million needs to be added to the 72 million that get sent to Belfast? If so thats close to 100 million items that are failing to get delievered. Kind of makes you think doesn't it

Flaco 13:41 02 May 05

The delivery charge on the order was £4.70, so for a CPU/Fan/Heatsink weighing about 500g+ it would probably only qualify as Recorded (although studying the suppliers delivery info page it is not 100% clear as to what they do).

Pooke100 14:06 02 May 05

Letters that don't have a return address on the outside are opened at the NRLC in Belfast to see if there's an address inside, if not they are kept for a period of time and then destroyed.

If there is an address they are forwarded on to the sender, it can take a while for it to get back. This is for normal mail.

Recorded mail is handled differently, the delivery office will hold it for 7 days before returning it to sender and with special delivery it does not go to the NRLC it goes back through the special delivery system (the Next Day one).

As for mis-delivery you've seen how some people type, just imagine their hand-writing!! Some addresses are so vague toO! Alot of mail will have parts missing, eg house number or even the street name missing. Is the posty meant to be psychic? Daniel I'd blame the customers first!

Total Care Support 14:34 02 May 05

I dont think the postie should be psychic

I have seen mail that comes in here and some of the hand written ones well it makes you wonder as to the level of education in some parts of the country as the hand writting is so bad because so many people are used to typing now days that the art of using a pen is going out the window, but thats for a different post and I have as a test before addressed a letter to my mum with only her surname and the village she lives in because she has a mouth on her and everyone in the village knows her! and it got to her, I know who hard the general post office staff work, however I have also sent letters out of here with the address copied directly from postcode finder on the Royal Mail website and that has failed to get to the customer.

It is a small percentage of the total shipped mail that gets lost but at the same time if recorded delivery or special delivery are going astray which happens more often than I believed was possible until I saw the figures (and when I say lost it I am meaning not getting to delivery address and not getting back to sender) It does become a little concerning. But again we are talking 0.1% of the total mail handled so I might be making mountian out of mole hill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…