Deleting email before downloading?

Templar1961 14:31 16 Jun 03

Is it possible for someone to delete an email without downloading it?

The reason I ask is on behalf of someone (using blueyonder ISP?) who has been sent an email with a large attachment that they do not wish to spend over an hour downloading. Any suggestions?

Sir Radfordin™ 14:42 16 Jun 03

Depends on the mail client you are using. Pegasus Mail (click here) will allow you to delete mail direct on the server.

You can also telnet to some mail servers that will allow you to do the same thing. Don't know about blueyonder though.

Try posting this in the helproom.

Sir Radfordin™ 14:45 16 Jun 03
  lionheart766 14:48 16 Jun 03
  cleeman 15:04 16 Jun 03

try going to blueyonder home page click on webmail. type in username and password you should then be able to delete the e-mail from the list in the in-box

Templar1961 15:38 16 Jun 03

Thanks very much! I'll give it a green tick once I have confirmed the ISP to be Blueyonder.

longjon 17:22 16 Jun 03

i have often wondered why blueyonder's email system doesn't allow u to delete unopened emails. there are lots of reasons why it might be desireable/essential to be able to do so. cleeman's tip is helpful but still very inconvenient and time-consuming. most advanced email systems allow you to perform this simple task from your own inbox. if blueyonder is reading this, perhaps they would consider making this a feature of their own...blueyonder?

Jester2K II 20:39 16 Jun 03

"i have often wondered why blueyonder's email system doesn't allow u to delete unopened emails"

Who says you can't??? Do it all the time. Did 3 this evening!!!

Jester2K II 20:44 16 Jun 03

can you explain what you mean by

"most advanced email systems allow you to perform this simple task from your own in-box" Cleeman just gave the alternate web based method of getting into your mailbox.

With most ISPs you need to download e-mail before you can delete it using Outlook (or OE). I use ePrompter to delete the undesirable rubbish i get before doing the download.

So what are you referring to? An in-box on your PC that you can delete messages from BEFORE you download them?

jazzypop 22:32 16 Jun 03

Try a program called Mailwasher (Google will find it for you) - it does exactly what you want, and is also a useful tool for dealing with spam.

Templar1961 22:45 16 Jun 03

Just to clarify - the email to be deleted is not exactly spam.

Its actually a relative that wanted to send a photo album but didn't realise that it would be so bulky. Now having realised his mistake he wants to advise the recipient to delete the email thats yet to be downloaded.

I have had similar experiences myself of receiving bulky attachments - I am currently using Freeserve (tho' probably not for much longer!) Is there a way to delete email from my ISPs server?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…