Decisions, Decisions, and Decisions!

Ken Ju-On 23:16 04 Nov 03

Hi all.

If you could spare a moment, I'd appreciate it if you would decide which notebook would be the most suitable for an undergraduate freshman college student out of Dell's Inspiron 5500 and Inspiron 5600.

They can be customized to some extent and the prices will be more or less the same. The Inspiron 5500 can come with a Mobile P4 2.0 GHz to 2.8 GHz, but can only use 266 MHz RAM. The Inspiron 5600 can come with a slower Mobile P4 1.5 GHz to 1.7 GHz, but can use 333 MHz RAM. Other components are more or less equal and I simply can't make up my mind!

I'll be using the notebook at the on-campus residence, and since I'm taking Computer Science I guess it'll have to be taken to class often as well. The 5600's slower processors would let the battery live longer, but then it's got faster RAM, while the 5500 is vice-versa. ARRRGGHH!

I discussed with Steric about the Inspiron 5150, but now I'm turning my head towards these two as they weigh slightly less and the screens are slightly bigger.

Forum Editor 23:23 04 Nov 03

you'll get more feedback there.

Steve N 23:24 04 Nov 03

I'd go for the more powerful ones. Even though the memory is slower the performance difference there would be degligable whereas the difference between the two types of CPUs is far greater.

You may want to look at a Pentium M (Centrino)
a 1.6GHz is outpaces 2.4Ghz P4 from what I have heard (or there abouts) it is far better on batteries too.

Ken Ju-On 23:47 04 Nov 03

Sorry, Forum Editor. I didn't notice the ConsumerWatch section. Thanks for moving it here.

Thanks for your advice, Steve. I never knew a Centrino 1.6 GHz could outperform a 2.4 GHz since I'm unfamiliar with Centrino technology, but that's interesting. And if it saves batteries at the same time then all the better! The Dell Inspiron 5600 has a Intel Centrino processor AND 333 MHz RAM! Thanks again for clearing up my mind.

Any more suggestions from other people would be most welcome.

Ken Ju-On 23:50 04 Nov 03

I just found an interesting article at

click here

It's worth checking out

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:55 04 Nov 03

Unless you are heavily into gaming you will notice little difference in speed. I use a 350mhz and a 2Ghz computer, both have office XP and photoshop 6 and 7. To be truthful there is no noticeable difference in speed. Personally I would go for a cheaper computer but with the largest screen and whack in as much extra RAM as it can take.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…