//some 3rd party need geo

deciding between cheap lap tops

dunc101 14:54 23 Aug 03

My daughter wants a cheap lap top for college work....internet access, spreadsheets, word etc but not games...looking at the cheap end of the market pc world is selling compaq 2104 for £699, or compaq 2178 for £799........staples is selling HP laptop ze 4404 for £699 or a cybercom md 2549 for £699...... I also see that some dont have a floppy drive which she wants.....i guess I can get an external one cheap ( am I right?) what would people advise me as the best bet

Forum Editor 15:45 23 Aug 03

from Helproom to Consumerwatch, where it will probably do better.

You can get an external floppy drive easily enough, and in fact when I bought my HP laptop a year or so ago it came with a voucher that offered an HP floppy drive at a very reasonable cost.

All of the machines you quoted are aimed very firmly at the student market, and I'm sure that all of them will do the job. The Compaq 2178 being offered by PC World is, in my opinion, something of a bargain, and if the budget permits I would snap it up before they all go. Stock of these machines is bound to be limited.

wee eddie 19:33 23 Aug 03

Unless things are different down your way. local Collages use floppies as a way of handing out and collecting Course Work.

Not everything, but things like demo spreadsheets and the likes.

dunc101 20:56 23 Aug 03

thanks forum ed, i am now the proud owner of the 2178...in fact i am using it now...seems very good

as always thanks for the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…