Dear me...

Why wont it work 15:42 02 Mar 09

My sisters Dell laptop went wrong a little while ago. An engineer came out to fix what Dell assummed to be the broken part. This couldn't be replaced due to a jammed something-or-another as it would crack another part if it was forcibly removed. They now want it to take it in so they can change the screen, the bottom plastics, the motherboard, processor, heatsink and fan assembly and the keyboard. There isn't really a point to this post other than, surely that's basically a new laptop? So why not just send a new one out? (Although I would guess they'll use refurbished parts, so it would be cheaper to repair it).

Clapton is God 16:11 02 Mar 09

"that's basically a new laptop?"

And have you made this point to Dell??

Oh, and by the way - next time you start a new thread please use a title which actually describes your problem (as specified in the Forum's rules) rather than "Dear me..." which means absolutely nothing.

Why wont it work 17:50 02 Mar 09

I did indeed suggest this to Dell, but you have to have repeated problems rather than a lot in one go for them to replace it.

Please don't tell me the forum rules, I find it insulting considering I have been posting here for years. Of course I would have given a clearer title if I could have thought of one precise enough at the time.

IClaudio 17:54 02 Mar 09

You obviously didn't understand that particular rule.

How about: 'Dell's repair policy is rubbish!', then I, for one, wouldn't have bothered to open the thread.

Why wont it work 18:02 02 Mar 09

Well I don't think their repair policy is rubbish, so I certainly would not write anything as such. Curious yes, rubbish no.

I fully understand the rules if you look at any of my umpteen past posts. I made one mistake and did not appreciate being alerted to it in a fashion which suggests I am new to this forum. I do not think that anymore need be said about it.

Forum Editor 18:26 02 Mar 09

how old this machine is, but if it's more than six months Dell has the right to decide about repair or replacement.

I suppose that provided the repairs result in a fully functioning computer your sister will end up with what amounts to a new machine anyway.

Why wont it work 18:41 02 Mar 09

Thanks for your input. The laptop is 2 months old, but is from the Dell outlet store and came with a 3 yr business warranty. It would seem it was originally manufactured over a year ago.

My sister is not fussed at all about whether they fix it or send a new one (she just wants one that works!). I just thought it was a little curious that they'd take the time to change so many parts- presumably it would take longer to strip down and rebuild a laptop over making a new one.

Forum Editor 19:04 02 Mar 09

but it may not be Dell's logic. All Dell laptops are made in South East Asia and shipped to America and Europe on a daily basis - they are literally made to order. Dell uses what's called a 'Pull' manufacturing system coupled to a negative cash conversion cycle - buzz-speak for 'making each laptop to order, and getting the customer's money before we even start the manufacturing process.'

It may actually be preferable from the company's point of view to make the repairs in a UK centre, as long as they have the parts - it should take a trained technician long.

961 19:09 02 Mar 09

Is that what Gordon, Alistair and Fred (the shred) use?

setecio 20:14 02 Mar 09

I thought most Dells for here were made in Limerick (moved/moving to Lodz Poland).

Sounds like it had an 'in home repair' warranty, so I doubt they should take it away .

Forum Editor 23:12 02 Mar 09

No, it's not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…