Deafening white static nuisance call

De Marcus™ 11:36 13 Nov 06

Can anyone point me to a website or organisation which would be able to tell me who the number 0888 belongs too? I'm registered with the TPS and all but the most persistent numbers get through, this particular one plays white static down the line at a deafening volume, it hurt my ear and left me with a ringing noise for a good half hour after that.

rodriguez 12:07 13 Nov 06

Might be a fax. We used to get sales faxes come through ours, so when you answered it you just got the data transfer - which is white noise similar to a dial up connection. Phoned BT up and got them to block such things.

g0slp 12:10 13 Nov 06

That's almost certainly a false ID. I keep getting pestered by a number showing as 01111; it's a call centre 'east of Suez' who claim to be a UK financial house. Needless to say, no such company shows up on a search.

De Marcus™ 12:14 13 Nov 06

It's definitely not a fax, not one that comes through anyway, it sounds more like an out of tune radio.

I'm more inclined to think it's a false ID, but why so loud?

I pay for call reject if a number is witheld, but are there other services which will stop this irritation?

I'm with Telewest, who are clueless in this instance.

g0slp 13:28 13 Nov 06

The point of the false ID is to fool the 'number witheld' software based filter, so I can see how Telewest don't really know how to stop these. All I do is look at the ID that comes up when a call comes in, & either answer or let the answering machine kick in. Needless to say, call cantres/scammers tend not to leave messages...

Basis the false IDs to fool the filters, I don't really see what else is possible, unfortunately.

De Marcus™ 13:58 13 Nov 06

Looks like I'm stuck then. :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…