Dead Pixels

jamesyt 20:41 01 Jun 03

Can someone explain to me why there is a problem with dead pixels for PC TFT screens and not for laptop TFT screens?, at least i've never heard of a problem with dead pixels and laptops. Is it something to do with the technologies they use?

I'm looking to buy a new PC and a flatscreen but if this dead pixel thing is going to be such a problem (I do a lot of graphics work) maybe I should get a laptop.

What do you guys think?

James

mikef™ 22:01 01 Jun 03

CTX gaurantees zero dead pixels with their S530 and S730 click here click here

Otherwise the EU specs. allow a certain number of dead pixels due to the difficulty in manufacturing perfect screens.

microswift 22:49 01 Jun 03

When I went shopping for a tft in Comet I got a verbal assurance from the manager that if the monitor had even one dead pixel then it would be replaced or a refund given, this guarantee was for three months. How much faith can you put in verbal guarantees ? I dont know. I bought a display model (Acer AL712 17") with a 10% discount the only thing missing was the box, at least when you buy a display model you can be absolutely sure that there are no dead pixels.

mcullum_DX4Life 23:40 01 Jun 03

The CTX guarantee will not be lifetime guarantee as they only have an entire life expectancy of 10,000 hours.

DieSse 01:03 02 Jun 03

TFTs on laptops and desktops use the same technology, and suffer from the same dead pixel issue. It's all down to how individual suppliers treat the issue.

Despicable Desperado 01:23 02 Jun 03

Remember that on the whole laptop displays are smaller than the unit you use at home so have a smaller number of pixels. There is still the possibilty that they can have pixel failure. I work for a computer company and I say that in the last 18 months I have not seen one TFT that has had a pixel failure.

Strangely Brown 09:59 02 Jun 03

The CTX guarantee is for 99 days if I remember rightly.

jamesyt 19:21 02 Jun 03

Thanks guys.

I guess i'll just have to buy one and hope for the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…